• {Real Wedding} Rachel & Christian: Backyard DIY Ohio Wedding

This wedding is everything a wedding should be: full of family & friends, love, and personal touches.  The entire affair was DIY!  You can tell from the gorgeous photos by Gina Leigh, who also happens to be the groom’s sister, that every element was personal to the couple.

From the photographer:  The wedding was 100% DIY.  It was held at Rachel’s grandmother’s farm at the end of a long dirt road in the middle of the Ohio countryside. Rachel’s grandmother handmade her wedding dress out of cotton eyelet lace and Rachel handmade each one of her bridesmaid’s lovely yellow dresses. The suspenders were a throw back to the groom’s father who wore suspenders every day of his adult life until he passed away four years ago to cancer.

The design on the invitations was hand drawn by Hannah, the lovely bridesmaid with the bright red hair. Christian is an amazingly trained cook at a historic restaurant, The Malabar Farm Restaurant, who provided all the catering. If you look closely, you’ll notice that Christian’s fingers are tattooed with the words “LET’S EAT” appropriately. Everything had a purpose and was filled with meaning.

From Rachel, the bride:  After Christian proposed, my mother asked, “What do you see when you close your eyes and imagine your wedding?” All I could come up with was sunshine and my bare feet. With that humble foundation, we planned a wedding that was simple and extremely personal – everything had meaning for us.
    Every single person involved was either family or close friend; the photos, food, music, flowers, outfits, even our officiant. Everything was touched by people who knew us personally. My grandmother, who has made dozens of prom dresses and ballet costumes throughout the years, sewed my beautiful ceremony gown, and I sewed all of my bridesmaids’ dresses.  My reception dress was purchased at Mad4Mod after I swooned over it for months.
    All in all, the planning was amazingly easy. We were married “beneath the walnut tree”, as our invitations, designed by my new sister-in-law Hannah, said, at my grandparents’ beautiful home. My bridesmaids and I made our bouquets and boutonnieres the day before with flowers from their garden – which I found very relaxing.
    Every detail was in place, and Christian’s sister Gina (a phenomenal wedding photographer) somehow made everything look even more charming than it was.  My grandfather, who so lovingly said prayer over the food in his West Virginian accent, noted that he and my grandmother, Eloise, would be married fifty years the following week, making the day even more special.
    Our first act as a couple was taking communion.  It was very important to us.  We wanted to show our commitment to our faith and to each other.  For our first dance, our good friend Renae sang and played guitar.  Her voice is magical. Time absolutely stopped, and we were lost in each other.

Congrats Rachel & Christian!  Thanks for the beautiful DIY wedding inspiration.

{Vendors} Catering: Malabar Farm Restaurant / Photography: Gina Leigh Photography / Cake & Dessert: Malabar Farm Restaurant / Bride’s Wedding Gown: DIY / Bridesmaid Dresses: DIY / Floral: DIY  / Bride’s Reception Dress: Mad4Mod

1. Posted Jul 18 at 7:32 am | Permalink

i love the colors!

2. Posted Jul 18 at 7:40 am | Permalink

such fab colors, Chandra!
      Happy Monday!

xoxo, Chrissy
      The Perfect Palette

3. Posted Jul 18 at 9:25 am | Permalink

Thanks for featuring Rachel and Christian’s wedding! It was such a joyous day. 🙂

4. Posted Jul 18 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

what a charming wedding. love the bride’s color wrap.

5. Posted Jul 19 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

This is the kind of wedding I long to be a guest at. Love every sweet detail and the flowers re so perfect.

6. Posted Jul 27 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

This is such a sweet wedding – I love how here grandmother made her dress. Beautiful!

7. Posted Jul 28 at 6:37 am | Permalink

Very charming. I love the wedding invitation, who designed them?

• CURRENT OBSESSIONS

•  Life with these boys is an adventure of mammoth proportions  (see what I did there #ivegotpuns) #theadventuresofcharlieandcalvin  This dreamboat is six months old today (HOW!!!!??? ) but his momma is so so tired that I'm gonna post another pic soon with his #quincysmonthbymonth stats. Because right now all can manage to do is drink my wine and barely keep my eyes open.  But really, he's a dreamboat. That's all I can say. #quincyrhys #fastestsixmonthsofmylife
       A little midweek mama inspiration. Love following, connecting, and supporting fellow mommas and these ladies have beautiful feeds and sweet littles ✨ @lindsaymeyerharley @withstylegrace @xoxo.richellecote @ro.birkey #mommafeedstofollow #battlefieldmotherhood #followalong #followfriday (but on Wednesday)  Rollin with ma homies  #squad #thefredrickboys #everythingbutthekitchensink