• {Real Wedding} Rachel & Christian: Backyard DIY Ohio Wedding

This wedding is everything a wedding should be: full of family & friends, love, and personal touches.  The entire affair was DIY!  You can tell from the gorgeous photos by Gina Leigh, who also happens to be the groom’s sister, that every element was personal to the couple.

From the photographer:  The wedding was 100% DIY.  It was held at Rachel’s grandmother’s farm at the end of a long dirt road in the middle of the Ohio countryside. Rachel’s grandmother handmade her wedding dress out of cotton eyelet lace and Rachel handmade each one of her bridesmaid’s lovely yellow dresses. The suspenders were a throw back to the groom’s father who wore suspenders every day of his adult life until he passed away four years ago to cancer.

The design on the invitations was hand drawn by Hannah, the lovely bridesmaid with the bright red hair. Christian is an amazingly trained cook at a historic restaurant, The Malabar Farm Restaurant, who provided all the catering. If you look closely, you’ll notice that Christian’s fingers are tattooed with the words “LET’S EAT” appropriately. Everything had a purpose and was filled with meaning.

From Rachel, the bride:  After Christian proposed, my mother asked, “What do you see when you close your eyes and imagine your wedding?” All I could come up with was sunshine and my bare feet. With that humble foundation, we planned a wedding that was simple and extremely personal – everything had meaning for us.
    Every single person involved was either family or close friend; the photos, food, music, flowers, outfits, even our officiant. Everything was touched by people who knew us personally. My grandmother, who has made dozens of prom dresses and ballet costumes throughout the years, sewed my beautiful ceremony gown, and I sewed all of my bridesmaids’ dresses.  My reception dress was purchased at Mad4Mod after I swooned over it for months.
    All in all, the planning was amazingly easy. We were married “beneath the walnut tree”, as our invitations, designed by my new sister-in-law Hannah, said, at my grandparents’ beautiful home. My bridesmaids and I made our bouquets and boutonnieres the day before with flowers from their garden – which I found very relaxing.
    Every detail was in place, and Christian’s sister Gina (a phenomenal wedding photographer) somehow made everything look even more charming than it was.  My grandfather, who so lovingly said prayer over the food in his West Virginian accent, noted that he and my grandmother, Eloise, would be married fifty years the following week, making the day even more special.
    Our first act as a couple was taking communion.  It was very important to us.  We wanted to show our commitment to our faith and to each other.  For our first dance, our good friend Renae sang and played guitar.  Her voice is magical. Time absolutely stopped, and we were lost in each other.

Congrats Rachel & Christian!  Thanks for the beautiful DIY wedding inspiration.

{Vendors} Catering: Malabar Farm Restaurant / Photography: Gina Leigh Photography / Cake & Dessert: Malabar Farm Restaurant / Bride’s Wedding Gown: DIY / Bridesmaid Dresses: DIY / Floral: DIY  / Bride’s Reception Dress: Mad4Mod

1. Posted Jul 18 at 7:32 am | Permalink

i love the colors!

2. Posted Jul 18 at 7:40 am | Permalink

such fab colors, Chandra!
      Happy Monday!

xoxo, Chrissy
      The Perfect Palette

3. Posted Jul 18 at 9:25 am | Permalink

Thanks for featuring Rachel and Christian’s wedding! It was such a joyous day. :)

4. Posted Jul 18 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

what a charming wedding. love the bride’s color wrap.

5. Posted Jul 19 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

This is the kind of wedding I long to be a guest at. Love every sweet detail and the flowers re so perfect.

6. Posted Jul 27 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

This is such a sweet wedding – I love how here grandmother made her dress. Beautiful!

7. Posted Jul 28 at 6:37 am | Permalink

Very charming. I love the wedding invitation, who designed them?

• follow oh lovely day on pinterest
    • Topics

Archives

• mens wearhouse
    • Minted Wedding Stationery
    • Gilded Rentals

My Favorite Things

Shop For Your Honeymoon

Baby Must-Haves

Bridesmaids & Events

• Our Wedding
    • Bloggers Wedding Advice
    • Lovely Ever After

One more from today's laid back Venice wedding -- major  for this bouquet, full of the bride's favorite flower + color. Along with the rest of the florals, food, and details, not to mention the sweet couple, it will put a big smile on your face. And have you craving Mexican food (or maybe that's just this pregnant lady ). Major  to @gatherevents @inessanicholsdesign @mollycophoto @whoanellycaters & all of the other vendors (tagged). Head to the blog to see it all. #linkinprofile #ohlovelyday
       Calvin's first B&N visit. He did about 30 laps around the train table, held his own with a 20 month old (you could tell who has a big bro at home), and only put the trains in his mouth twice. Big success  // however, they desperately need a new train table at @barnesandnoble at @thegrovela - this one has seen better years (and I know, because I've seen it for at least 4). But it was perfect for walking laps around
    • Latest Pins on Pinterest