• {It’s in the Details + DIY} Photobooth / Polaroid Station (a revisited post)

Hey y’all!  Hope you all had a great weekend.  I had a very busy one myself, and didn’t have time to do a post for today.  So in honor of the week leading up to my 2 year anniversary weekend celebration, I’m revisiting an old post, which was a DIY that I did for my wedding.  Hope you like!  xx

One of my wedding musts was a photo booth.  My husband and I started dating in high school and we have a collection of photo booth strips from over the years (we even did some during our engagement photos).  But we didn’t have $1500+ extra in our budget to rent one, so I decided to make one myself.  I’ve seen DIY photo booths done different ways, depending on the kind you want and the amount of work you want to put in.  I wanted to put in very little work, as I already had lots of DIY projects I was doing myself.  So, here are my super simple instructions for a DIY photo booth/ polaroid station:

1.  First, find a bright, fun fabric to use as the background.  I went to Joann’s Fabrics and bought mine on sale.  I got extra and used it for the fabric tiers of my cupcake tower.  I would suggest 6 yards to be sure you have enough.

2.  Depending on where you are going to have the ‘booth’ you may need some supportive structure.  I hung mine from shrubbery, so we basically just tied the fabric corners to the sticks of the shrubs.  If you do not have a structure to use, you’ll need to build one, but most any venue would have a wall that you can tie, stick, or fasten your fabric to.  If you need a structure, see this post from Ruffled.  It is a great and cheap way to build a photobooth structure!

3.  You’ll need a digital camera and a quality photo printer, or even better and easier, a Polaroid camera and film.  I found both of mine on ebay.  As you probably know, the film has sadly been discontinued, so it isn’t the cheapest, but $200 on film vs. $1500+ to rent a booth still equals a bargain in my book.  Update: you can find the modern version of the polaroid camera that still produces instant photos, but not  with the same look of the old school polaroids.

4.  Make a sign (I used a chalkboard one) instructing guests on how you want them to take photos and what to do with them (are they favors, do you want to keep them, are they for the guestbook, etc.)

5.  You can gather props if you want as well, or again, you can use a chalkboard so guests can write messages and put them in the photos.  I didn’t use props, but I did hang our initials on the backdrop (which were craft paper initials from paper source that I painted and tied ribbon to).

6.  Put a small table near the fabric backdrop.  This is where you’ll put your camera, film, sign, props, etc.

After these very simple steps, you have your own DIY photo booth.  My guests absolutely loved ours, and we didn’t even tell them what to do with the photos (one of the things I forgot in the rush, along with getting a polaroid of just myself and my husband together) but they gave the photos to us, which I loved!  I’m going to frame them all in a huge framed collage and hang them in our apartment (someday!)  Here are a few of our polaroids from our DIY booth:

And my favorite one, of my brother and my mom:
    And we have 40+ more of these . . . how awesome were my wedding guests!?

Update – I DID frame our polaroids together and hung it in our home,
    which you can see in this picture behind me and Charlie:

I hope you enjoy this DIY.  With all of the photobooths I’m still constantly seeing in weddings and on the blogs, I think it is as relevant today as it was two years ago, which kind of amazes me.  Happy DIY’ing.

1. Posted Aug 22 at 7:18 am | Permalink

This is a great idea! I love the polaroid look & it looked like it was a total blast for guests. I might have to try this for my clients! More photos = more fun!

2. Posted Aug 22 at 7:51 am | Permalink

Great post – I’m loving your photo booth ideas. Oh, and I’m really loving the picture of you and little charlie.

Handsome little man! Just took mine to his 1 year pediatrician appointment this morning.

He’s over 25 lbs now + in the 96 % for height 🙂 Thought you’d appreciate hearing the stats 🙂

xoxo, chrissy
      The Perfect Palette

3. Posted Aug 22 at 10:58 am | Permalink

oooh LOVE DIY photo booths! I’m in the process of making one for our wedding this November. Would love to learn more about how to light one properly. Have you any tips?

4. Posted Aug 22 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

SUCH a cool thing to have on your wall to keep forever. Love that idea.

5. Posted Aug 23 at 4:15 am | Permalink

The polaroid look is so fun!

6. Posted Aug 26 at 3:26 am | Permalink

I LOVE This Idea!! Its just so original 😀

7. Anonymous
      Posted Aug 7 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

hi ! I love your DIY photo booth. I was just wondering… did you use the camera that you linked us to? The target store one?

• Posted Aug 7 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

Glad you liked it. As I said in the post, I used an old school polaroid camera, but the film was discontinued right around that same time and it is almost impossible to find (and if you do find it somewhere, like ebay, it is probably expired). So the one I linked to is an updated version with film that you can find the film. good luck!

8. Posted Oct 31 at 1:41 am | Permalink

DIY photo booth is a good treat to your friends in an event or party. And for sure they will enjoy spend time in photo booth.

•  Seriously cannot believe I'm saying this but, YOU ARE NINE MONTHS OLD! Your first 9 months of life sure did go by faster than your 9 months in my belly, and I didn't even know you were in there for the first 9 weeks! (Yep, I was totally that pregnant lady the third time around  but that's a story for another time...) You are feeding yourself, have still never had a bottle , are pulling up to standing, sprint crawling, finally cut your first tooth and are working on your second. You have regressed in sleep and the last week have been waking up 1-2 times a night but I know it's those teeth. You are not a good teether. You're babbling like crazy, mostly in this hilarious new demon voice, you often mimic sounds, and are always saying dadadada. How about a little mama, huh? I'm the one who has barely slept for 9 months through colic and reflux and nursing and night wakings and who carries you around on my person 90% of the time. I'm not bitter though. The smiles you save for me alone more than make up for it. #quincysmonthbymonth  Countdown to Halloween is on! Reminiscing about that time Charlie was @macklemore for Halloween, 2013. Kid was two weeks shy of three and played the part to a tee. What is your favorite costume you or your kids ever did? #isthatyourgrandmascoat #poppintags #charlieasmacklemore #babymacklemore #bornentertainer #charlesdashiell
       Continuing the Halloween theme today because I'm in a Halloween mood  Last year. My favorite movie as a kid became Charlie's favorite last year and he wanted to be Jareth so bad. I wasn't sure I could pull it off, but we did. Even down to dressing Calvin as Toby because he was the perfect age. I don't think it will ever get better than this for me. #dancemagicdance #babewiththepower #labyrinth  Motherhood is a constantly evolving state of total joy, exhausted agony, superhuman strength, and very human failures. As soon as you celebrate that superhuman successful day, it is replaced with new challenges. And just when you think you can't go one more day, you get a day so magical you want to have ten more babies. I'm in the midst of one of those exhausted phases again but I keep trying to remind myself that it is this phase that makes the magical days shine brighter. In the wise words of Miley Cyrus (I'm actually serious): it's all about the climb.  We've got this mamas. (Tag a momma who needs to get cheesy and read the words to a Miley Cyrus song ) #battlefieldmotherhood _______________________________________________ I can almost see it. That dream I'm dreaming, But there's a voice inside my head saying, "You'll never reach it." Every step I'm takin' Every move I make feels lost with no direction, My faith is shakin' But I, I gotta keep tryin' Gotta keep my head held high There's always gonna be another mountain I'm always gonna wanna make it move Always gonna be an uphill battle Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose Ain't about how fast I get there Ain't about what's waitin' on the other side It's the climb The struggles I'm facing The chances I'm taking Sometimes might knock me down, But no, I'm not breaking I may not know it, But these are the moments That I'm gonna remember most  Just gotta keep goin', And I, I gotta be strong Just keep pushing on, 'Cause... There's always gonna be another mountain I'm always gonna wanna make it move Always gonna be an uphill battle Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose Ain't about how fast I get there Ain't about what's waitin' on the other side It's the climb.