• {Real Wedding} Staci & Ryan: Rustic DIY Barn Wedding in South Dakota

Where do I begin in describing how I feel about this wedding?  First of all, the bride should be a model.  Like seriously, GOR.GEOUS.  The groom is a looker too (those are gonna be some pretty babies someday!)  And the couple has such a sweet story: high school sweethearts, a little time apart, a long distance relationship, then a reunion and engagement.  Aside from the fact that their journey took 6 years, and mine took 14, my husband and I have a very similar story.  Also, every single thing in this wedding was made by the couple and their friends and families.

so stinking cute!
    I’m obsessed with how pretty this picture is.

Did I tell you!?  How amazing are those portraits!?  Now here are some details from the bride, Staci:

We were married at the Salt Lake Temple – May 14th 2011 and had a reception to follow are our house in Salt Lake City. The weather forecast promised a beautiful sunny day but it poured rain the moment we got out, but with that came beautiful photos. We left for our honeymoon soon after in Jackson Hole, WY at a secluded cabin. A couple of months later we drove to South Dakota, where we are both from, and had a ring ceremony and reception for the rest of our family and friends. There a friend of the family offered the use of there historically registered barn that they recently turned over into an event/dance hall. It meshed so well with my decorations that I hardly had to decorate at all..it was decoration it self. I just had to add some flowers, tables, fabric, and lights that would bring out the antique aspects of the barn. I wanted both of my receptions to be really informal so I had a buffet style meal of pulled pork, baked beans, and salads from the renowned Backyard BBQ who are know for their delicious beans and sandwiches. Everyone was able to visit family that they have not seen in a while in the beautiful fall weather of South Dakota and then gather to dance in the barn when it chilled at night. It was a perfect setting to be welcomed into our new families.
    Tell us about your DIY process.

I made most of my decorations from ideas gathered from differect blogs and then made them personal. Since I did not choose a specific set of colors it did make it easier to just go to a craft store or thrift store and put together decor of different colors that fit well with my theme and hobbies. The thrift stores gave me an endless supply of mason jars, vases, posts and all kinds of containers for a reasonable price. And the local craft stores supplied my bouquets, ribbons, and fabric. Many of my decorations I use in my home decor now. Some of my favorite was the cut birch tree logs that we burnt our initials in and the mismatched pots that I planted succulents in for table displays. For our favors I purchased can koozies that read ‘To have to hold and to keep your drink cold’ which everyone loved! I would always look for antique knickknacks that displayed our hobbies of fishing and photography which made it more personal and not just floral decor.

How did you make your wedding YOU?
    My husband and I were both raised in rural South Dakota, and when we moved to the big city of Salt Lake we always yearned to go back to our country roots someday. Therefore a country themed wedding came out in our decor. I also incorporated a mix of our hobbies such as fishing and photography to make it even more personal.
    I love that they had a country wedding that reflected their hobbies, their roots, and what they love.  How sweet is it that even though they had already been married a couple of months, the groom seems so emotional during the ceremony?  Love that.  The bride’s style and the mismatched but cohesive look of the bridesmaids – it is all just so well done.  Lovely wedding, lovely couple, lovely photos…lovely day!  What is your favorite thing?  Mine is a tie between the bride’s ridiculously pretty face, and the lawn games 🙂  Now you go!

{Vendors} Photographers: Kimbry Studios / Invitations: Courthouse Basement Design /

DJ: The Lone Arranger / Cake: Emily’s Cakes / Reception: Family friends’ historically registered barn turned over for events / Food: Backyard Grill / All decor was made by family members or bride.

1. Posted Apr 16 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

What a cute “something blue” cardigan!

2. Posted Apr 17 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

Yay, Papa Bear is from South Dakota! The light is amazing in these shots, and I might just have to kidnap the children. Squish! The DIY is really simple and cute, and can I say again, the light!

3. Posted Apr 17 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

The photographer did a WNDERFULjob catching the flickers of light in all the right places.

4. Posted Apr 19 at 3:25 am | Permalink

The light is amazing in these shots.nic post .thanks for sharing with us.?

5. Posted Apr 19 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

What an adorable wedding! Love all the cute details! 🙂

6. Posted Apr 23 at 2:51 am | Permalink

Oh, The husband is crying. That was so sweet. I like the photo where the bride’s head is in the arms of her husband. Nice wedding and a great photos.

7. Posted May 21 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Where in SD is this barn?? Is it open to anyone?? I am trying to plan my wedding and would love to have it in a barn 🙂

8. Posted Aug 30 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

I too am looking for a barn for my wedding in South Dakota! Where is this barn located?
      email me or text/call me (605) 300-0125.

9. Posted Nov 11 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Has anyone heard where this barn venue is located?!

10. Posted Dec 6 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

I finally was able to track down some info on the barn location. Per the photographer, The owner’s name is Al Skatvold, but I’m not sure if he’s hosting many events. His number is 605-623-4555. Hope that helps.

11. Channing
      Posted Aug 15 at 9:05 am | Permalink

I’m from west river South Dakota and I have been looking for a barn venue for our wedding. You said your family friends turned their historic barn over for events and a dance hall. Do they only do that for friends and family or are they open to doing events for other couples? If so, how can I get in contact with them?

•  This week was a rough one. I feel like I say that every week but this one really was. Today alone had me at my breaking point. All three of my kids seemed hell bent on driving me crazy. Quincy literally wouldn't let me put him down or leave the room without a major scream-cry fest. He rode around on the fuss bus allllll day. Tropical storm Calvin left destruction in his wake everywhere he went (if you follow me on snap/stories you got a little sampling but that was nowhere near the extent of it). At one point I went into a room away from my kids and sat in a chair and cried. Within three minutes one of them found me (of course) gave me a hug, and we were all better (except Calvin -- I think this is his permanent state ). This photo is my version of thinking happy thoughts. Bougainvillea vibes ✌️️✨  And just like that, summer is back  Take me back to the fall weather of two days ago! Also, take me back to when this kid slept past 5 am and took naps. For a week now, between 4:30-5:30 am this kid climbs up on our bed over top of me and proceeds to squrim, poke, and annoy me till I get up. Quincy's sleeping till 6 or later FINALLY and now Calvin is waking me up!? And he refused to nap today (again) too. Seriously you guys, he's killin' me. He looks real cute in rain gear but if he does it again tonight he's headed to toddler military school. #sotiredineedanewwordfortired #calvins3rdyear #battlefieldmotherhood
       You know what is a great motivator? Not wanting to be outdone by your big bro. Cause look who's pulling himself up, so he can keep up  #quincysmilestones #calvinandquincy #lawdhelpme #charlieandcalsroomredo  There were very few baby things I hadn't yet tried by the time I had Quincy but I hadn't really used a sling before. I got my first sling when I was still pregnant with Q and tried it with Calvin, but once Cal was walking he never wanted to be carried. He's far too busy for all that. So Quincy is the first baby I've used a sling with, and I feel like I really missed out with the other two. I had and loved other carriers with them (and still do) but there is just something about the sling that is magical and it is my carrier of choice right now. It is convenient (you can keep it threaded and just throw it on), it is cozy, it doesn't tightly wrap behind my back which always makes me sweaty, and I can nurse while Quincy is in it which has been a lifesaver. I'm actually nursing him in this photo! I'm sharing photos from our recent visit to the pumpkin patch and how I got to do all the things with my family while wearing Quincy in the sling because I didn't have to stay with him in the stroller or go find a place to nurse him. He chilled, ate, and napped in my sling. And because I love it so much I'm teaming up with @mywildbird to give one reader a sling of their choice! Head to my blog to enter (link in profile) and tell your friends  #OLDfavefinds #babywearing #mywildbird #giveaway #fredrickfamfallfun