• {Real Wedding} Staci & Ryan: Rustic DIY Barn Wedding in South Dakota

Where do I begin in describing how I feel about this wedding?  First of all, the bride should be a model.  Like seriously, GOR.GEOUS.  The groom is a looker too (those are gonna be some pretty babies someday!)  And the couple has such a sweet story: high school sweethearts, a little time apart, a long distance relationship, then a reunion and engagement.  Aside from the fact that their journey took 6 years, and mine took 14, my husband and I have a very similar story.  Also, every single thing in this wedding was made by the couple and their friends and families.

so stinking cute!
    I’m obsessed with how pretty this picture is.

Did I tell you!?  How amazing are those portraits!?  Now here are some details from the bride, Staci:

We were married at the Salt Lake Temple – May 14th 2011 and had a reception to follow are our house in Salt Lake City. The weather forecast promised a beautiful sunny day but it poured rain the moment we got out, but with that came beautiful photos. We left for our honeymoon soon after in Jackson Hole, WY at a secluded cabin. A couple of months later we drove to South Dakota, where we are both from, and had a ring ceremony and reception for the rest of our family and friends. There a friend of the family offered the use of there historically registered barn that they recently turned over into an event/dance hall. It meshed so well with my decorations that I hardly had to decorate at all..it was decoration it self. I just had to add some flowers, tables, fabric, and lights that would bring out the antique aspects of the barn. I wanted both of my receptions to be really informal so I had a buffet style meal of pulled pork, baked beans, and salads from the renowned Backyard BBQ who are know for their delicious beans and sandwiches. Everyone was able to visit family that they have not seen in a while in the beautiful fall weather of South Dakota and then gather to dance in the barn when it chilled at night. It was a perfect setting to be welcomed into our new families.
    Tell us about your DIY process.

I made most of my decorations from ideas gathered from differect blogs and then made them personal. Since I did not choose a specific set of colors it did make it easier to just go to a craft store or thrift store and put together decor of different colors that fit well with my theme and hobbies. The thrift stores gave me an endless supply of mason jars, vases, posts and all kinds of containers for a reasonable price. And the local craft stores supplied my bouquets, ribbons, and fabric. Many of my decorations I use in my home decor now. Some of my favorite was the cut birch tree logs that we burnt our initials in and the mismatched pots that I planted succulents in for table displays. For our favors I purchased can koozies that read ‘To have to hold and to keep your drink cold’ which everyone loved! I would always look for antique knickknacks that displayed our hobbies of fishing and photography which made it more personal and not just floral decor.

How did you make your wedding YOU?

My husband and I were both raised in rural South Dakota, and when we moved to the big city of Salt Lake we always yearned to go back to our country roots someday. Therefore a country themed wedding came out in our decor. I also incorporated a mix of our hobbies such as fishing and photography to make it even more personal.

I love that they had a country wedding that reflected their hobbies, their roots, and what they love.  How sweet is it that even though they had already been married a couple of months, the groom seems so emotional during the ceremony?  Love that.  The bride’s style and the mismatched but cohesive look of the bridesmaids – it is all just so well done.  Lovely wedding, lovely couple, lovely photos…lovely day!  What is your favorite thing?  Mine is a tie between the bride’s ridiculously pretty face, and the lawn games 🙂  Now you go!

{Vendors} Photographers: Kimbry Studios / Invitations: Courthouse Basement Design /

DJ: The Lone Arranger / Cake: Emily’s Cakes / Reception: Family friends’ historically registered barn turned over for events / Food: Backyard Grill / All decor was made by family members or bride.

1. Posted Apr 16 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

What a cute “something blue” cardigan!

2. Posted Apr 17 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

Yay, Papa Bear is from South Dakota! The light is amazing in these shots, and I might just have to kidnap the children. Squish! The DIY is really simple and cute, and can I say again, the light!

3. Posted Apr 17 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

The photographer did a WNDERFULjob catching the flickers of light in all the right places.

4. Posted Apr 19 at 3:25 am | Permalink

The light is amazing in these shots.nic post .thanks for sharing with us.?
      bigindianwedding.com

5. Posted Apr 19 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

What an adorable wedding! Love all the cute details! 🙂

6. Posted Apr 23 at 2:51 am | Permalink

Oh, The husband is crying. That was so sweet. I like the photo where the bride’s head is in the arms of her husband. Nice wedding and a great photos.

7. Posted May 21 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Where in SD is this barn?? Is it open to anyone?? I am trying to plan my wedding and would love to have it in a barn 🙂

8. Posted Aug 30 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

I too am looking for a barn for my wedding in South Dakota! Where is this barn located?
      email me or text/call me (605) 300-0125.

Thanks!
      -Julia

9. Posted Nov 11 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Has anyone heard where this barn venue is located?!

10. Posted Dec 6 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

I finally was able to track down some info on the barn location. Per the photographer, The owner’s name is Al Skatvold, but I’m not sure if he’s hosting many events. His number is 605-623-4555. Hope that helps.

11. Channing
      Posted Aug 15 at 9:05 am | Permalink

I’m from west river South Dakota and I have been looking for a barn venue for our wedding. You said your family friends turned their historic barn over for events and a dance hall. Do they only do that for friends and family or are they open to doing events for other couples? If so, how can I get in contact with them?

• CURRENT OBSESSIONS

•  Memorial weekend'n ❤️ #quincyrhys  Happy 4 months my chubby bunny! It's crazy to think that 8 years ago today your pops asked me to marry him and now here you are already 4 months old. You are happy and smiling 90% of the time and still screamy 10% of the time. Much better, but your unpredictable screaminess still pops up at the times when I'm trying to get out of the house or eat, usually both at once. I can take a hint. You are 17 lbs and almost 26 inches - putting you in the 90th % for height and 80th for weight. Oh, and your head is in the 94th % - which I'm fine with since it was a nice slightly below average size when you were born. You are hilariously huge  Your daddy says if you keep growing like this people are going to start calling you Hodor You have rolled from belly to back a few times (a small miracle given your size and how little floor time you've been able to have due to your reflux), scoot yourself with your feet when laying on your back, have reached for and grabbed a toy, and are a chatterbox. You like music, like being held in sitting and standing positions, and really wanna eat your hands. You are a champion napper -- usually taking a 2-3 hr one in the morning and a good afternoon one as well. I can even put you down without soothing you to sleep first and you fall asleep on your own - something that your brothers didn't do until at least 6 months old. You're sleeping from around 7:30 pm - 7 am, waking around 3:30 for a snack (you're totally not hungry either, you just miss me). You're just the cutest with your fat rolls and cheek dimps and duck fluff hair and big gummy smiles and you have everyone of us completely smitten.  #quincysmonthbymonth
       Not gonna lie, it's been reeeeeaally nice having an almost empty house this week while the big boys are out of town and it's just Quincy and me. It's so peaceful and clean.  But when I get sent pictures like this of my boys with my cutie pie nephew Braxton, I start missing them something fierce and can't wait to see them tomorrow. #theadventuresofcharlieandcalvin #brothersandcousins #sooooooomanyboys  We didn't remember to take his 4 month photos today (we'll just pretend the 26th is tomorrow ) but we did manage a photo for #rednoseday. Don't forget to donate! @rednosedayusa ❣#doitforthekids