• {Real Wedding} Staci & Ryan: Rustic DIY Barn Wedding in South Dakota

Where do I begin in describing how I feel about this wedding?  First of all, the bride should be a model.  Like seriously, GOR.GEOUS.  The groom is a looker too (those are gonna be some pretty babies someday!)  And the couple has such a sweet story: high school sweethearts, a little time apart, a long distance relationship, then a reunion and engagement.  Aside from the fact that their journey took 6 years, and mine took 14, my husband and I have a very similar story.  Also, every single thing in this wedding was made by the couple and their friends and families.

so stinking cute!
    I’m obsessed with how pretty this picture is.

Did I tell you!?  How amazing are those portraits!?  Now here are some details from the bride, Staci:

We were married at the Salt Lake Temple – May 14th 2011 and had a reception to follow are our house in Salt Lake City. The weather forecast promised a beautiful sunny day but it poured rain the moment we got out, but with that came beautiful photos. We left for our honeymoon soon after in Jackson Hole, WY at a secluded cabin. A couple of months later we drove to South Dakota, where we are both from, and had a ring ceremony and reception for the rest of our family and friends. There a friend of the family offered the use of there historically registered barn that they recently turned over into an event/dance hall. It meshed so well with my decorations that I hardly had to decorate at all..it was decoration it self. I just had to add some flowers, tables, fabric, and lights that would bring out the antique aspects of the barn. I wanted both of my receptions to be really informal so I had a buffet style meal of pulled pork, baked beans, and salads from the renowned Backyard BBQ who are know for their delicious beans and sandwiches. Everyone was able to visit family that they have not seen in a while in the beautiful fall weather of South Dakota and then gather to dance in the barn when it chilled at night. It was a perfect setting to be welcomed into our new families.
    Tell us about your DIY process.

I made most of my decorations from ideas gathered from differect blogs and then made them personal. Since I did not choose a specific set of colors it did make it easier to just go to a craft store or thrift store and put together decor of different colors that fit well with my theme and hobbies. The thrift stores gave me an endless supply of mason jars, vases, posts and all kinds of containers for a reasonable price. And the local craft stores supplied my bouquets, ribbons, and fabric. Many of my decorations I use in my home decor now. Some of my favorite was the cut birch tree logs that we burnt our initials in and the mismatched pots that I planted succulents in for table displays. For our favors I purchased can koozies that read ‘To have to hold and to keep your drink cold’ which everyone loved! I would always look for antique knickknacks that displayed our hobbies of fishing and photography which made it more personal and not just floral decor.

How did you make your wedding YOU?

My husband and I were both raised in rural South Dakota, and when we moved to the big city of Salt Lake we always yearned to go back to our country roots someday. Therefore a country themed wedding came out in our decor. I also incorporated a mix of our hobbies such as fishing and photography to make it even more personal.

I love that they had a country wedding that reflected their hobbies, their roots, and what they love.  How sweet is it that even though they had already been married a couple of months, the groom seems so emotional during the ceremony?  Love that.  The bride’s style and the mismatched but cohesive look of the bridesmaids – it is all just so well done.  Lovely wedding, lovely couple, lovely photos…lovely day!  What is your favorite thing?  Mine is a tie between the bride’s ridiculously pretty face, and the lawn games 🙂  Now you go!

{Vendors} Photographers: Kimbry Studios / Invitations: Courthouse Basement Design /

DJ: The Lone Arranger / Cake: Emily’s Cakes / Reception: Family friends’ historically registered barn turned over for events / Food: Backyard Grill / All decor was made by family members or bride.

1. Posted Apr 16 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

What a cute “something blue” cardigan!

2. Posted Apr 17 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

Yay, Papa Bear is from South Dakota! The light is amazing in these shots, and I might just have to kidnap the children. Squish! The DIY is really simple and cute, and can I say again, the light!

3. Posted Apr 17 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

The photographer did a WNDERFULjob catching the flickers of light in all the right places.

4. Posted Apr 19 at 3:25 am | Permalink

The light is amazing in these shots.nic post .thanks for sharing with us.?
      bigindianwedding.com

5. Posted Apr 19 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

What an adorable wedding! Love all the cute details! 🙂

6. Posted Apr 23 at 2:51 am | Permalink

Oh, The husband is crying. That was so sweet. I like the photo where the bride’s head is in the arms of her husband. Nice wedding and a great photos.

7. Posted May 21 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Where in SD is this barn?? Is it open to anyone?? I am trying to plan my wedding and would love to have it in a barn 🙂

8. Posted Aug 30 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

I too am looking for a barn for my wedding in South Dakota! Where is this barn located?
      email me or text/call me (605) 300-0125.

Thanks!
      -Julia

9. Posted Nov 11 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Has anyone heard where this barn venue is located?!

10. Posted Dec 6 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

I finally was able to track down some info on the barn location. Per the photographer, The owner’s name is Al Skatvold, but I’m not sure if he’s hosting many events. His number is 605-623-4555. Hope that helps.

11. Channing
      Posted Aug 15 at 9:05 am | Permalink

I’m from west river South Dakota and I have been looking for a barn venue for our wedding. You said your family friends turned their historic barn over for events and a dance hall. Do they only do that for friends and family or are they open to doing events for other couples? If so, how can I get in contact with them?

• CURRENT OBSESSIONS

•  Quincy and I went to the #redCARpetsafety event today, which raises awareness for baby safety. Saw friends @uppababy @munchkin @ergobaby @babyganics & made some new ones like @thestep2company @showmeyourmumu as well. Quincy was making eyes at all the ladies, but he flirted the biggest with Caila with the good hair (which should totally be her hashtag). And all the new moms and moms-to-be were asking about this sling @mywildbird! Which made me think of a good #momtip: Taking Quincy on the go is so much easier thanks to babywearing and that @loyal_hana jumpsuit -- the hidden zippers make it so easy to nurse Quincy while wearing him in the sling. No one even knows I'm breastfeeding! Makes it so much easier to go places, especially with other little ones. I did a whole post on ohlovelyday.com about breastfeeding while babywearing if you want more tips! #OLDfavefinds #quincyrhys #babywearing #normalizebreastfeeding  If I got to take two naps a day I'd be this happy too.  And for all of you who have asked me about this playmat, I blogged all about it today -- link in profile. #OLDfavefinds #quincyrhys
       Watching these three interact with each other over breakfast makes me flash forward to seeing them doing the same thing as big boys and teenagers and it makes me smile and shed a little tear at the same time. And then I think about how much cereal and milk I'm gonna have to buy  #thefredrickboys #lifewithboys  It's been one of those days (weeks, months, years) where everything is going wrong. Been up since 4:45 since I couldn't get Quincy back to sleep after a feeding. Calvin fell asleep in the stroller on a walk at 10:30 (something he hasn't done since he was like 5 months old!) so his normal nap (my break to eat/shower/work/rest or only have one child to care for for a couple hours) is gone for the day. Quincy pooped all over himself so bad that we were both literally covered in . And he's already woken up from his afternoon nap after only 45 very short minutes. And I'm supposed to have a date with my husband tonight except I'm exhausted and covered in  and have no time to do anything about either one. Oh, and I fell down the stairs (sore but not hurt). Motherhood: somedays you win, somedays you lose. But on all the days you are, to some extent in this season of motherhood, covered in shit.  Here's hoping the weekend is less shitty, in all the ways. #beerme #battlefieldmotherhood