• {Planning Tips} 5 Traditions You Can (or Should) Skip

Traditions can be great, but not all wedding traditions are necessary, or even meaningful, in today’s weddings.  The thing that is important in a tradition is that it means something to you. So don’t do the traditional wedding vows if they hold no personal meaning for you – write your own!  Or if your father isn’t in your life for whatever reason, don’t feel like you have to have someone give you away.  You do the things that feel right and make you happy on your wedding day.

Here are some old traditions that no one miss, and a couple that I think are outdated and awkward.

5 Traditions You Can (or Should) Skip from Oh Lovely Day | having a bride's side and a groom's side

1.  Having a Bride’s Side and a Groom’s Side
    While the idea of having your friends and family on your “side” doesn’t bother me (at least you’ll know where to look for your peeps) I also love the idea of letting people sit wherever they want for your ceremony.  And it eliminates the need for ushers, which I also think are totally unnecessary (also unnecessary: guestbook attendants.)

2.  Doing a Receiving Line
    Don’t ever make your guests stand in a line at your wedding if you can avoid it, and NEVER do it unless it is for food or a drink.  The receiving line is pointless and a waste of time.  After you and your husband eat your dinner, just walk around to all of the tables and quickly greet and thank your guests. This allows your guests to be comfortable and you and your spouse to have more time to dance the night away!

5 Traditions You Can (or Should) Skip from Oh Lovely Day | giving favors
    3.  Giving Favors
    Can you remember any of the wedding favors you’ve received at a wedding?  I bet most of you will say no.  While favors can be a fun way to include your personalities or identities into your wedding details, they aren’t necessary and probably won’t be missed.  Don’t feel comfortable skipping them altogether?  Do something extra that your guests can enjoy – like a candy or dessert bar – and put out cute paper bags to take some home too.  Or do a charity donation in lieu of favors.  I love the way it was done in the photo above.

4.  Bouquet Toss
    First of all, you probably paid at least $150 (or more!) for that bouquet and it is gorgeous.  Would you just toss money around like that?  Of course not.  Secondly, and more importantly, it can be humiliating.  Not for you, the bride, but for the single ladies that are shoved onto the dance floor and probably forced to smile while they are told they could be “the next lucky one to get married” if they catch that bouquet.  As a girl who was a bridesmaid 8 times before I got engaged and have been to more weddings than I remember, I speak from experience.  No, not everyone feels that way.  Yes, some people love the bouquet toss.  But some people just do it because “it is what people do” and if that is the case, I think you can do without it.

5 Traditions You Can (or Should) Skip from Oh Lovely Day | The Garter Toss

5.  Garter Toss
    I am a firm believer that you should wear a pretty garter on your wedding day, and you should leave it on for your husband to find on your wedding night.  Do not, I beg you, do a garter toss during your reception.  The first word I think of when someone says “garter toss” is yuck.  Or maybe it’s gross.  Definitely awkward.  I mean, come on – who wants to sit there while all of your guests watch your husband creep up your gown to remove your garter (the really lovely ones do it with their teeth!) YUCK.  This is definitely a tradition to, well, toss.  Wear a pretty garter, have photos of it taken, pass it down as an heirloom or something blue.  But please do not toss it.So what do you think of these traditions you can skip?  Do you agree or disagree?  Are there others you would add to the list?  I’d love to hear!

{photo credits} Stacy Kokes via The Sweetest Occasion / Rebecca Hansen Weddings via Ruffled / photo by Jennifer Roper and garter by The Garter Girl from my wedding

1. Posted Sep 25 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

I love what you guys are usually up too. Such clever work and coverage!
      Keep up the wonderful works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to our blogroll.

2. Posted Oct 16 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Needless to say, the advertisers and publishers don’t see the same CPC –
      the advertising networks will take its own stake in the middle.
      Internet has successfully provided employment to many.

courses y provide are worth a gold mine, y give you everything you need
      to become successful doing internet marketing.

3. Posted Nov 5 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Love this post! All of these suggestions are so true!

4. Posted Nov 5 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Great post!

5. Posted Dec 27 at 12:34 am | Permalink

my business is finding leisure extent dog collar films (that sometimes place ground level lead to the setting probe), purchase I can brew the customizable green contraptions to get in touch probes to somewhat of an pcbs. the existing crocodile put destruction the pcb moreover is no longer secure separate circumstances, But will still be used by some items. A tend that enduringly attached to the pcb that is unclipped inside the receiver collar potential more worth it,

6. Posted Jun 23 at 7:07 am | Permalink

Appreciation to my father who informed me on the topic of this blog, this weblog is truly awesome.

7. Posted Jul 31 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

Hi there, the whole thing is going fine here and ofcourse every one is sharing
      data, that’s really excellent, keep up writing.

8. Posted Nov 23 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

C’est pourquoi il est indispensable de surveiller particulièrement son alimentation :
      on arrive ainsi à juguler un certain nombre de symptômes, dont le cholestérol et la
      prise de poids.

• CURRENT OBSESSIONS

•  Can we talk for a sec about how obsessed I am with this illuminating @zacposen gown that Claire Danes wore to the Met Gala? It's like Cinderella meets celestial. ✨ (I showed my husband and he said "and you met Zac Posen!" Thanks babe ) #metgala2016 #zacposen #clairedanes #bestdressed  These ranunculus are still going strong and the yellow is just so beautiful. One of my favorite flowers for sure
       If my gym were this cute I'd go more often. (Or at least I'd *think* about going more often )  After a few nights with frequent wake ups after his first long stretch of sleep, I decided to try having Quincy sleep in his bassinet instead of the rock-n-play he has always slept in to help with his reflux. He usually sleeps from 7:30 or 8 pm to 1:30, then eats and goes back to sleep, waking every 1-2 hrs till 7-8 am. Well, last night I put him down in his rock-n-play (since he nurses right before bed and I was worried his reflux would flare if I laid him flat) and when I went to bed 2 hours later I moved him to his bassinet. He didn't wake up and slept until -- wait for it -- 4:15 am! Then he nursed and was back to sleep by 5am and slept till 8! What a huge difference! I got 6 straight hours of sleep and 8 total. It's like a new world today ✨ So night sleep in the @dockatot placed in our @thelandofnod bassinet is our new thang  #quincysmilestones #quincyrhys