• {Planning Tips} 5 Traditions You Can (or Should) Skip

Traditions can be great, but not all wedding traditions are necessary, or even meaningful, in today’s weddings.  The thing that is important in a tradition is that it means something to you. So don’t do the traditional wedding vows if they hold no personal meaning for you – write your own!  Or if your father isn’t in your life for whatever reason, don’t feel like you have to have someone give you away.  You do the things that feel right and make you happy on your wedding day.

Here are some old traditions that no one miss, and a couple that I think are outdated and awkward.

5 Traditions You Can (or Should) Skip from Oh Lovely Day | having a bride's side and a groom's side

1.  Having a Bride’s Side and a Groom’s Side
    While the idea of having your friends and family on your “side” doesn’t bother me (at least you’ll know where to look for your peeps) I also love the idea of letting people sit wherever they want for your ceremony.  And it eliminates the need for ushers, which I also think are totally unnecessary (also unnecessary: guestbook attendants.)

2.  Doing a Receiving Line
    Don’t ever make your guests stand in a line at your wedding if you can avoid it, and NEVER do it unless it is for food or a drink.  The receiving line is pointless and a waste of time.  After you and your husband eat your dinner, just walk around to all of the tables and quickly greet and thank your guests. This allows your guests to be comfortable and you and your spouse to have more time to dance the night away!

5 Traditions You Can (or Should) Skip from Oh Lovely Day | giving favors
    3.  Giving Favors
    Can you remember any of the wedding favors you’ve received at a wedding?  I bet most of you will say no.  While favors can be a fun way to include your personalities or identities into your wedding details, they aren’t necessary and probably won’t be missed.  Don’t feel comfortable skipping them altogether?  Do something extra that your guests can enjoy – like a candy or dessert bar – and put out cute paper bags to take some home too.  Or do a charity donation in lieu of favors.  I love the way it was done in the photo above.

4.  Bouquet Toss
    First of all, you probably paid at least $150 (or more!) for that bouquet and it is gorgeous.  Would you just toss money around like that?  Of course not.  Secondly, and more importantly, it can be humiliating.  Not for you, the bride, but for the single ladies that are shoved onto the dance floor and probably forced to smile while they are told they could be “the next lucky one to get married” if they catch that bouquet.  As a girl who was a bridesmaid 8 times before I got engaged and have been to more weddings than I remember, I speak from experience.  No, not everyone feels that way.  Yes, some people love the bouquet toss.  But some people just do it because “it is what people do” and if that is the case, I think you can do without it.

5 Traditions You Can (or Should) Skip from Oh Lovely Day | The Garter Toss

5.  Garter Toss
    I am a firm believer that you should wear a pretty garter on your wedding day, and you should leave it on for your husband to find on your wedding night.  Do not, I beg you, do a garter toss during your reception.  The first word I think of when someone says “garter toss” is yuck.  Or maybe it’s gross.  Definitely awkward.  I mean, come on – who wants to sit there while all of your guests watch your husband creep up your gown to remove your garter (the really lovely ones do it with their teeth!) YUCK.  This is definitely a tradition to, well, toss.  Wear a pretty garter, have photos of it taken, pass it down as an heirloom or something blue.  But please do not toss it.So what do you think of these traditions you can skip?  Do you agree or disagree?  Are there others you would add to the list?  I’d love to hear!

{photo credits} Stacy Kokes via The Sweetest Occasion / Rebecca Hansen Weddings via Ruffled / photo by Jennifer Roper and garter by The Garter Girl from my wedding

1. Posted Sep 25 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

I love what you guys are usually up too. Such clever work and coverage!
      Keep up the wonderful works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to our blogroll.

2. Posted Oct 16 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Needless to say, the advertisers and publishers don’t see the same CPC –
      the advertising networks will take its own stake in the middle.
      Internet has successfully provided employment to many.

courses y provide are worth a gold mine, y give you everything you need
      to become successful doing internet marketing.

3. Posted Nov 5 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Love this post! All of these suggestions are so true!

4. Posted Nov 5 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Great post!

5. Posted Dec 27 at 12:34 am | Permalink

my business is finding leisure extent dog collar films (that sometimes place ground level lead to the setting probe), purchase I can brew the customizable green contraptions to get in touch probes to somewhat of an pcbs. the existing crocodile put destruction the pcb moreover is no longer secure separate circumstances, But will still be used by some items. A tend that enduringly attached to the pcb that is unclipped inside the receiver collar potential more worth it,

6. Posted Jun 23 at 7:07 am | Permalink

Appreciation to my father who informed me on the topic of this blog, this weblog is truly awesome.

7. Posted Jul 31 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

Hi there, the whole thing is going fine here and ofcourse every one is sharing
      data, that’s really excellent, keep up writing.

• follow oh lovely day on pinterest
    • Topics

Archives

• mens wearhouse
    • Minted Wedding Stationery
    • Gilded Rentals

My Favorite Things

Shop For Your Honeymoon

Baby Must-Haves

Bridesmaids & Events

• Our Wedding
    • Bloggers Wedding Advice
    • Lovely Ever After

We had our first date 20 years ago today when we were practically babies in high school. We were on and off (and on and off and on and off) through college, survived a 3 year long distance relationship before there was FaceTime and when one of us didn't even have a cell phone. We've done 11 years of sharing a bathroom, almost 6 years of marriage, and now almost 3 babies. Some days have been so easy, and others are incredibly hard. Each day we make a choice to love each other and enjoy this beautiful life together. And to do it our way, following our dreams and raising our children to be open minded, good and kind people. Our way, ride or die, till the wheels fall off. Me and you. Happy 20 year date-a-versary my social media-less hunk of a husband.❤️ We should have gotten a sitter  //  by @hazelnutphoto from our gender reveal, which I'll be sharing next week!
       Had a super #happymail day thanks to the 2016 calendar preview from @papersource. At first I was all like "the color, the design, the pretty, oh my! " but then I thought "2016, January, due date, holy shit! " I feel like the next 6 months just flashed before my eyes. Slow down 2015. The calendars and planners are real purty tho. #mypscalendar
    • Latest Pins on Pinterest