• {Real Wedding} Cassie & Bennet: Intimate Backyard DIY Wedding + Carnival-Themed Reception (Part 1)

whimsical pastel DIY wedding

Happy Monday!  I know not everyone gets excited for Mondays, but I love them because I usually have a lovely wedding to share with you, and today I have one of my favorite weddings EVER.  It’s so fabulous and there are so many great details and images that I’m sharing it in two parts.  Today is the sweet and small backyard ceremony the couple had for just family and close friends, and tomorrow will be the fantastic carnival-themed reception with the best DIY details you’ve ever seen!

whimsical pastel DIY wedding

Advice for planning couples?  Be yourself! It is easy to get caught up in pleasing everyone around you, but it is important to be able to look back at photos and see your own style shining through.

whimsical pastel DIY wedding
    whimsical pastel DIY wedding

I new I wanted all of my girls’ dresses to be different and unique to their styles, so I picked them out for them and gave them as gifts. Each dress got a different sash purchased from Etsy and I created custom lockets for each of the girls with a picture of us, the date of the wedding and a note inside.

whimsical pastel DIY wedding
    whimsical pastel DIY wedding

My bridesmaids and I walked down the aisle to “You’re Beautiful,” a beautiful worship song by Phil Wickham. The girls walked down while the song built and I walked down on the last verse *Fun side note: I trained for a half marathon in the Spring of my senior year in college.  I was on a killer hill on the last mile of nine mile training run when this song came on my playlist.  Listening to the incredible lyrics of the song completely inspired and overwhelmed me.  By the top of the hill I was in tears and knew that this was the song I would eventually walk down the aisle to… Bennett proposed three months later.  I also kept the song s surprise from Bennett. Needless to say, we were both tearful by the time I got down the aisle. Our recessional was “Beautiful Day” by U2. Such a victorious song!

whimsical pastel DIY wedding
    whimsical pastel DIY wedding

Tell us about your wedding style.  To be honest, I took just many of the things I love and just made them all fit into one day! I have long loved the vintage touch that inspired my dress and veil. I wanted the day to feel warm and bright and full of joy. The colors of the girls’ dresses were inspired by Spring flowers… and if you didn’t notice, nothing matched. In my book, when nothing matches, everything works 🙂

whimsical pastel DIY wedding

Didn’t I tell you!?  When I saw this bride’s style, and those bridesmaids’ dresses, I knew I was in love.  The details, the florals, the couple’s story… there is just so much here to be inspired by.  And you haven’t even seen the reception yet!  You just wait… the details and the bride’s gorgeous red dress will have you swooning.  And now for part two!

{Vendors} Vendors: All vendors were hired locally out of Knoxville, Tennessee:  Event Planning: 29:11 Event Studio / Photography: Jennie Andrews Photography / Flowers: Mulberries Floral Design / Cake: Sugarbuzz / Dress: Custom Lee Ann Belter from Wedding Wonderland / Bridesmaids’ Dresses: Modcloth / Suits: Express / Reception Site and Catering: Baker Peters Jazz Club

1. Posted Jan 28 at 7:40 am | Permalink

The flowers are to die for!!

2. Posted Jan 28 at 9:36 am | Permalink

That dress is AMAZING! Love the open back and lace detailing!

3. Posted Jan 28 at 11:10 am | Permalink

What a vibrant and sweet wedding – loving every bit!

4. Posted Jan 28 at 11:27 am | Permalink

LOVELY!! Beautiful colors and fabulous details. I too had each maid pick out a different frock- love the look, so chic 🙂

5. Posted Jan 29 at 8:04 am | Permalink

Great work! The colors really pop from the vibrancy.

6. Posted Jan 29 at 8:12 am | Permalink

Love the mix of colours! Fantastic x

7. Anonymous
      Posted Jan 29 at 10:30 am | Permalink

So pretty! Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to see the reception.

8. Anonymous
      Posted Feb 1 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

Does Cassie have a blog? I’d love to see some of her DIY projects and how she did them!

•  Continuing the Halloween theme today because I'm in a Halloween mood  Last year. My favorite movie as a kid became Charlie's favorite last year and he wanted to be Jareth so bad. I wasn't sure I could pull it off, but we did. Even down to dressing Calvin as Toby because he was the perfect age. I don't think it will ever get better than this for me. #dancemagicdance #babewiththepower #labyrinth  Motherhood is a constantly evolving state of total joy, exhausted agony, superhuman strength, and very human failures. As soon as you celebrate that superhuman successful day, it is replaced with new challenges. And just when you think you can't go one more day, you get a day so magical you want to have ten more babies. I'm in the midst of one of those exhausted phases again but I keep trying to remind myself that it is this phase that makes the magical days shine brighter. In the wise words of Miley Cyrus (I'm actually serious): it's all about the climb.  We've got this mamas. (Tag a momma who needs to get cheesy and read the words to a Miley Cyrus song ) #battlefieldmotherhood _______________________________________________ I can almost see it. That dream I'm dreaming, But there's a voice inside my head saying, "You'll never reach it." Every step I'm takin' Every move I make feels lost with no direction, My faith is shakin' But I, I gotta keep tryin' Gotta keep my head held high There's always gonna be another mountain I'm always gonna wanna make it move Always gonna be an uphill battle Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose Ain't about how fast I get there Ain't about what's waitin' on the other side It's the climb The struggles I'm facing The chances I'm taking Sometimes might knock me down, But no, I'm not breaking I may not know it, But these are the moments That I'm gonna remember most  Just gotta keep goin', And I, I gotta be strong Just keep pushing on, 'Cause... There's always gonna be another mountain I'm always gonna wanna make it move Always gonna be an uphill battle Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose Ain't about how fast I get there Ain't about what's waitin' on the other side It's the climb.
       Countdown to Halloween is on! Reminiscing about that time Charlie was @macklemore for Halloween, 2013. Kid was two weeks shy of three and played the part to a tee. What is your favorite costume you or your kids ever did? #isthatyourgrandmascoat #poppintags #charlieasmacklemore #babymacklemore #bornentertainer #charlesdashiell  We have this hat, passed down to Charlie from my friend's little boy, then passed down to Calvin. It's just a simple grey hat but it is so so cute and is the thing that my boys wear the most in the toddler years. It holds so much sentimental value for me. Well yesterday I took the babies on a walk and somewhere along the way Calvin chucked it. He also tossed his shoes but I saw those right away. It wasn't until we stopped for lunch that I realized the hat was gone. I was so sad about it that I retraced our steps to see if I could find it. No luck. I'm pretty sure he tossed it in Goodwill while I was digging for stuff for our Halloween costumes. Which means it is gone, because when you lose something in Goodwill it is seriously like looking for a needle in a haystack. I've been sick about it ever since, which I know is silly. It's just a hat, after all. But it's one of those things that I was planning to pass to Quincy and then save forever and when I was old and grey I would dig it out of the attic and take a walk down memory lane. You moms know what I'm talking about. But it's gone and all I have are photos and the memories. Luckily Calvin had started putting it on Quincy's head and last week I snapped this picture. Charlie and Calvin both kept saying "cuuuuuuute" ❤️ I hope it makes its way onto another little boy's head someday #thefredrickboys #calvinandquincy #brudders #thebrotherhoodofthegreytoddlerhat