• {Real Wedding} Chelsea & Chris: Stunning Backyard DIY Wedding in British Columbia from Mikaela Ruth Photography

stunning backyard DIY wedding in British Columbia by Mikaela Ruth

Happy Monday, lovelies!  I hope you’re ready to start your week off with one fabulous wedding.  This is just the thing to wake you up and get you going – with the vibrant colors and stunning views, you won’t even need coffee.  Well, maybe just one cup.  But first…

Did you watch the Golden Globes last night?  I used to love to do wrap up posts (and if you follow me on instagram I did comment on some of my favorites) but I’ve heard some horror stories of bloggers being sued by Getty Images for using photos without the proper license, so I’m going to just be safe and not post any photos.  However, I will say that I LOVED the white and gold gowns worn by Julianne Hough and Michelle Dockery.  And I saw lots of trends: mint, lots of nude and blush, and vibrant tomato red.  And Jessica Alba was gorgeous in coral, Jennifer Lopez wore a showstopper of a naked lace gown, and Naomi Watts rocked the oxblood trend.  I’d love to hear your best dressed in the comments!  Now, back to today’s wedding 🙂

stunning backyard DIY wedding in British Columbia by Mikaela Ruth
    Advice for couples planning now?  Stick to your guns! Remember that it is your wedding; everyone will have their opinions, but the most important opinion is your own.

stunning backyard DIY wedding in British Columbia by Mikaela Ruth

Our processional and recessional song was “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” by Israel Kamakawiwo’ole, which was played on the acoustic guitar by one of the groom’s best friends. This song has special significance to me; it reminds me of my grandma and was one of her favourite songs.

stunning backyard DIY wedding in British Columbia by Mikaela Ruth
     Our first dance song was “You and Me” by Dave Matthews Band, which is my favourite band!

stunning backyard DIY wedding in British Columbia by Mikaela Ruth

Chelsea wore her mother’s wedding gown from the 80’s, which her aunt re-designed and re-made for Chelsea.  How special is that!?

stunning backyard DIY wedding in British Columbia by Mikaela Ruth
    stunning backyard DIY wedding in British Columbia by Mikaela Ruth
    stunning backyard DIY wedding in British Columbia by Mikaela Ruth
    Besides re-working my wedding gown, my aunt Tracy hand crafted all of our place cards, table numbers, and seating chart. Chris’s mom  makes the most delicious crab apple jelly. I knew right from the beginning that crab apple jelly would be our wedding favours. She made over 100 little jars of jelly, which we outfitted with burlap, personalized stickers and little apple stamped wooden spoons (also done by my Aunt). My mom, Carolyn Strand, made our wedding cake.
    stunning backyard DIY wedding in British Columbia by Mikaela Ruth
    stunning backyard DIY wedding in British Columbia by Mikaela Ruth
    For Chris and I, it was all of the personal touches and support from our family and friends that made our wedding all that we wanted it to be and more. We wanted to show our guests who we were, where we came from, and the importance of family and friends in our lives.
    I don’t know what I love more, the fabulous florals, the gorgeous color of the bridesmaids’ dresses, or the bride’s stunning style.  Plus, all of those great DIY details add just the right handmade touch to this personal wedding.  What’s your favorite part?{Vendors} Photographer: Mikaela Ruth Photography / Ceremony Venue: Backyard of the Groom’s parents in Summerland, BC / Reception Venue: La Punta Norte B&B in Summerland, BC / Caterer: Joy Road Catering  (They were absolutely amazing. Fresh, local, delicious food. We couldn’t have been happier!) Cake: Made by the Bride’s Mom / Flowers: Lisa Yang in Penticton, BC (Lisa was Fantastic. She grows all of her flowers in her own backyard. She invites you to her home where you can wander through her garden and pick your flowers) / Groom’s Suit: Zegna from Harry Rosen / Bride’s Dress: The bride wore her mom’s vintage wedding dress, re-styled and re-made by her Aunt / Hair and Make Up: Michelle Miller / Bride’s Shoes: Nine West / Bridesmaids dresses: Donna Morgan / DJ: Okanagan DJ & Bartender Services / Photobooth: Cheddar Booth

1. Posted Jan 14 at 10:23 am | Permalink

that venue for their ceremony makes for an amazing backdrop!

2. Posted Jan 14 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Great photos I just love backyard country weddings they are so romantic.

3. Posted Jan 14 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

thank you so much for the feature, chandra! xo

4. Posted Jan 18 at 9:28 am | Permalink

Gorgeous venue! The colors are also a great combination.
      {The NotWedding}

5. Posted Jan 22 at 3:46 am | Permalink

Love the pictures… Beautiful bridesmaid’s dresses.. beautiful venue for a romantic wedding..

6. Posted Jan 31 at 11:22 am | Permalink

This wedding put a smile on my face just looking at their bright colors, exquisite country view, lovely wedding cake, perfect remake of the bride’s mothers gown and all the happy faces!. A Happy Wedding Indeed!

• CURRENT OBSESSIONS

•  On weekends, we nurse, cuddle, and nap together and it is my favorite. With the other boys I was always trying to get stuff done while they were napping. Since this is my last baby, I'm trying to really soak up all the moments I can -- one day I'll have plenty of time to get stuff done. For now I'll just be a hot mess that made the most of this baby time. Whenever I get a bit anxious about not getting things done, I re-read my favorite poem about motherhood: Mother, oh mother, come shake out your cloth! Empty the dustpan, poison the moth, Hang out the washing and butter the bread, Sew on a button and make up a bed. Where is the mother whose house is so shocking? She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking! Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue (Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby, loo). Dishes are waiting and bills are past due (Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo). The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo. Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue? (Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo.) Oh, cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow, But children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow. So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust, go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby. Babies don't keep. Song for a Fifth Child By Ruth Hulburt Hamilton #battlefieldmotherhood #mommaandquincyselfies  Saturday mornings are about bros, basketball and babywearing. Side note: loving the ring sling for babywearing in this heatwave. It's the least hot of all of my babywearing options. #mywildbird #babywearing #quincyrhys #OLDsfavefinds
       This is the sky over LA right now. Apocalyptic, filter free and full of smoke  Stay safe and indoors  #sandfire #losangeles  Picking up Charlie just got a whole lot easier for me (and a whole lot pokey-er for Quincy ) thanks to our new @uppababy G-Link  #thefredrickboys