• {Real Wedding} Chelsea & Chris: Stunning Backyard DIY Wedding in British Columbia from Mikaela Ruth Photography

stunning backyard DIY wedding in British Columbia by Mikaela Ruth

Happy Monday, lovelies!  I hope you’re ready to start your week off with one fabulous wedding.  This is just the thing to wake you up and get you going – with the vibrant colors and stunning views, you won’t even need coffee.  Well, maybe just one cup.  But first…

Did you watch the Golden Globes last night?  I used to love to do wrap up posts (and if you follow me on instagram I did comment on some of my favorites) but I’ve heard some horror stories of bloggers being sued by Getty Images for using photos without the proper license, so I’m going to just be safe and not post any photos.  However, I will say that I LOVED the white and gold gowns worn by Julianne Hough and Michelle Dockery.  And I saw lots of trends: mint, lots of nude and blush, and vibrant tomato red.  And Jessica Alba was gorgeous in coral, Jennifer Lopez wore a showstopper of a naked lace gown, and Naomi Watts rocked the oxblood trend.  I’d love to hear your best dressed in the comments!  Now, back to today’s wedding 🙂

stunning backyard DIY wedding in British Columbia by Mikaela Ruth
    Advice for couples planning now?  Stick to your guns! Remember that it is your wedding; everyone will have their opinions, but the most important opinion is your own.

stunning backyard DIY wedding in British Columbia by Mikaela Ruth

Our processional and recessional song was “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” by Israel Kamakawiwo’ole, which was played on the acoustic guitar by one of the groom’s best friends. This song has special significance to me; it reminds me of my grandma and was one of her favourite songs.

stunning backyard DIY wedding in British Columbia by Mikaela Ruth
     Our first dance song was “You and Me” by Dave Matthews Band, which is my favourite band!

stunning backyard DIY wedding in British Columbia by Mikaela Ruth

Chelsea wore her mother’s wedding gown from the 80’s, which her aunt re-designed and re-made for Chelsea.  How special is that!?

stunning backyard DIY wedding in British Columbia by Mikaela Ruth
    stunning backyard DIY wedding in British Columbia by Mikaela Ruth
    stunning backyard DIY wedding in British Columbia by Mikaela Ruth
    Besides re-working my wedding gown, my aunt Tracy hand crafted all of our place cards, table numbers, and seating chart. Chris’s mom  makes the most delicious crab apple jelly. I knew right from the beginning that crab apple jelly would be our wedding favours. She made over 100 little jars of jelly, which we outfitted with burlap, personalized stickers and little apple stamped wooden spoons (also done by my Aunt). My mom, Carolyn Strand, made our wedding cake.
    stunning backyard DIY wedding in British Columbia by Mikaela Ruth
    stunning backyard DIY wedding in British Columbia by Mikaela Ruth
    For Chris and I, it was all of the personal touches and support from our family and friends that made our wedding all that we wanted it to be and more. We wanted to show our guests who we were, where we came from, and the importance of family and friends in our lives.
    I don’t know what I love more, the fabulous florals, the gorgeous color of the bridesmaids’ dresses, or the bride’s stunning style.  Plus, all of those great DIY details add just the right handmade touch to this personal wedding.  What’s your favorite part?{Vendors} Photographer: Mikaela Ruth Photography / Ceremony Venue: Backyard of the Groom’s parents in Summerland, BC / Reception Venue: La Punta Norte B&B in Summerland, BC / Caterer: Joy Road Catering  (They were absolutely amazing. Fresh, local, delicious food. We couldn’t have been happier!) Cake: Made by the Bride’s Mom / Flowers: Lisa Yang in Penticton, BC (Lisa was Fantastic. She grows all of her flowers in her own backyard. She invites you to her home where you can wander through her garden and pick your flowers) / Groom’s Suit: Zegna from Harry Rosen / Bride’s Dress: The bride wore her mom’s vintage wedding dress, re-styled and re-made by her Aunt / Hair and Make Up: Michelle Miller / Bride’s Shoes: Nine West / Bridesmaids dresses: Donna Morgan / DJ: Okanagan DJ & Bartender Services / Photobooth: Cheddar Booth

1. Posted Jan 14 at 10:23 am | Permalink

that venue for their ceremony makes for an amazing backdrop!

2. Posted Jan 14 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Great photos I just love backyard country weddings they are so romantic.

3. Posted Jan 14 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

thank you so much for the feature, chandra! xo

4. Posted Jan 18 at 9:28 am | Permalink

Gorgeous venue! The colors are also a great combination.
      {The NotWedding}

5. Posted Jan 22 at 3:46 am | Permalink

Love the pictures… Beautiful bridesmaid’s dresses.. beautiful venue for a romantic wedding..

6. Posted Jan 31 at 11:22 am | Permalink

This wedding put a smile on my face just looking at their bright colors, exquisite country view, lovely wedding cake, perfect remake of the bride’s mothers gown and all the happy faces!. A Happy Wedding Indeed!

•  This week was a rough one. I feel like I say that every week but this one really was. Today alone had me at my breaking point. All three of my kids seemed hell bent on driving me crazy. Quincy literally wouldn't let me put him down or leave the room without a major scream-cry fest. He rode around on the fuss bus allllll day. Tropical storm Calvin left destruction in his wake everywhere he went (if you follow me on snap/stories you got a little sampling but that was nowhere near the extent of it). At one point I went into a room away from my kids and sat in a chair and cried. Within three minutes one of them found me (of course) gave me a hug, and we were all better (except Calvin -- I think this is his permanent state ). This photo is my version of thinking happy thoughts. Bougainvillea vibes ✌️️✨  And just like that, summer is back  Take me back to the fall weather of two days ago! Also, take me back to when this kid slept past 5 am and took naps. For a week now, between 4:30-5:30 am this kid climbs up on our bed over top of me and proceeds to squrim, poke, and annoy me till I get up. Quincy's sleeping till 6 or later FINALLY and now Calvin is waking me up!? And he refused to nap today (again) too. Seriously you guys, he's killin' me. He looks real cute in rain gear but if he does it again tonight he's headed to toddler military school. #sotiredineedanewwordfortired #calvins3rdyear #battlefieldmotherhood
       You know what is a great motivator? Not wanting to be outdone by your big bro. Cause look who's pulling himself up, so he can keep up  #quincysmilestones #calvinandquincy #lawdhelpme #charlieandcalsroomredo  There were very few baby things I hadn't yet tried by the time I had Quincy but I hadn't really used a sling before. I got my first sling when I was still pregnant with Q and tried it with Calvin, but once Cal was walking he never wanted to be carried. He's far too busy for all that. So Quincy is the first baby I've used a sling with, and I feel like I really missed out with the other two. I had and loved other carriers with them (and still do) but there is just something about the sling that is magical and it is my carrier of choice right now. It is convenient (you can keep it threaded and just throw it on), it is cozy, it doesn't tightly wrap behind my back which always makes me sweaty, and I can nurse while Quincy is in it which has been a lifesaver. I'm actually nursing him in this photo! I'm sharing photos from our recent visit to the pumpkin patch and how I got to do all the things with my family while wearing Quincy in the sling because I didn't have to stay with him in the stroller or go find a place to nurse him. He chilled, ate, and napped in my sling. And because I love it so much I'm teaming up with @mywildbird to give one reader a sling of their choice! Head to my blog to enter (link in profile) and tell your friends  #OLDfavefinds #babywearing #mywildbird #giveaway #fredrickfamfallfun