• {Sponsored} 5 Reasons to Have a Honeymoon Registry

Honeymoon Registry - Beach Destination - Honeymoon Pixie

I’ve been very vocal about my own experience using a honeymoon registry (I loved it!) almost four years ago, but it seems that some people are still on the fence about the idea.  However, the honeymoon registry is becoming popular as many couples find it most appropriate for their needs. After all, the purpose of a gift registry is to take the guesswork out of gift giving.

These days couples are older when they are getting married, many have lived on their own, or together as a couple, for years before their wedding.  They don’t need ‘the stuff.’  But everyone deserves a dream honeymoon.

Even though honeymoon registries are not completely main-stream, they can be very practical and useful for the average engaged couple. If you’re still on the fence about whether or not to use one, here are five reasons why you should:

Honeymoon Regisry - Venice Canals - Honeymoon Pixie

1.      You get exactly what you want. At department stores, the wedding registry salespeople can leave you feeling guilty for not registering for enough. They say you need hundreds of gifts on your registry to give guests plenty of selection and you need to accommodate a wide variety of price points. The problem is that you end up registering for things you don’t really want or need; only to take them back or be stuck figuring out what to do with them after the wedding. With a honeymoon registry, you can get what you really want – the experience of a truly memorable honeymoon.
    2.      You don’t have to ask for money. If you feel you don’t need to register for many of the traditional housewares for your wedding, and would prefer gifts towards your honeymoon, it’s still awkward to ask for money. A respectful way to accomplish this goal is through the use of a honeymoon registry that allows you to spend your gift money on your honeymoon. With a honeymoon registry, your guests are essentially giving you money, but each guest will know exactly what that money is intended for – so they can feel good about giving you a special honeymoon gift.Honeymoon Registry - Seychelles - Honeymoon Pixie
    3.     You can combine it with a traditional wedding registry. No one said you can’t have it both ways! Most couples these days have wedding registries set up at more than one store so they have a variety of items to choose from. If you need a few practical essentials for your home but also want a great honeymoon, there’s no unspoken rule saying you can’t register at Target or Crate and Barrel and Honeymoon Pixie! You can get the best of both worlds this way!
    4.     You can track your registry online to help you plan for your honeymoon. It’s a good idea to register early for your honeymoon registry to provide guests the opportunity to purchase their gift for you well before your wedding. This will help with your budgeting, as you can then monitor the gift funds received and how much money you’ve got coming in at any given point. Registry gift funds can be redeemed weeks before your wedding to help pre-pay for your lodging and airfare, easing budget concerns. Overall, many couples are pleasantly surprised at the level of gift giving and find that they can splurge a little more on their honeymoon.
    5.     Guests get to do it all online. A honeymoon registry is the perfect solution for couples who have friends and family in far-off places. They may want to buy you a gift but would have to ship it to you, which takes time and can be expensive.  Plus they may have to pay tax and have the gift wrapped. With a honeymoon registry, they can do all their gift-giving online, avoid the various fees, and not have to guess what you really want for a gift. And you’ll have a detailed ‘thank you’ list from your registry, so you’ll know what to thank each gift giver for!

Honeymoon Regisry - Hallstatt Austria - Honeymoon Pixie

Though honeymoon registries are still new, they’re clearly a great idea for the modern couple. If you want an unforgettable honeymoon and don’t want to deal with taking back the three extra crystal vases you get on your wedding day, it might be the perfect solution for you!  I know it was one of the best decisions my husband and I made.

This post was sponsored by Honeymoon Pixie, who is both a sponsor and Lovely Vendor of Oh Lovely Day and we’re a big fan.  If you’re interested in becoming a sponsor, email me for rate information and a media kit.

Leave a comment.

1. Lauren
      Posted May 17 at 9:05 am | Permalink

I have gone back and forth with having a honeymoon registry. I think it is a good idea but my fiance thinks it isn’t because they take a fee (I have seen 5% as the common amount). Are there any that don’t take the fee? Since it really is just people giving money to us to used how we like, for honeymoon or not, that he would rather just get the money then have them give us the money through a website and takes a few dollars off the top. Any insight would be helpful!

• Posted May 19 at 7:22 am | Permalink

Lauren-
        Like anything else, there is a little fee to cover expenses of transactions (like a credit card, paypal, etc.) but I found that doing a honeymoon registry got your guests excited to give you a gift that they knew you would experience. If you don’t have a honeymoon registry you likely won’t get as much in cash as you would honeymoon registry “gifts.” Also, you can add in the fee to the gift in the way you price gifts. And honestly, the fee is so low you barely notice it. I really recommend one – we loved ours and our guests thought it was so cool to buy us dinner on our honeymoon or treat us to a fun activity!

• Sara
        Posted May 20 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Hi Lauren!

Honestly, I’m not a fan of honeymoon registries for 2 reasons – the first being that fee! I’ve had to pay it in the past and, to be honest, I did notice it and I didn’t appreciate it. I also just don’t like the idea of flat out asking for money – and my guests knowing how much my honeymoon is costing. Yes, every couple deserves their dream honeymoon, but we should be taking honeymoons we can afford. My fiance and I have calculated our honeymoon costs into our wedding budget to keep costs down.

All of this being said, I do know tons of couples who have done this – so it really is personal preference! Good luck with your decision!

2. Lauren
      Posted May 17 at 9:05 am | Permalink

3. Posted May 18 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

Pictures are beautiful.

4. Posted May 21 at 10:45 am | Permalink

thanks to honeyfund.com, our ENTIRE honeymoon is paid for! what an incredible, meaningful gift.

One Trackback

• CURRENT OBSESSIONS

•  Not gonna lie, it's been reeeeeaally nice having an almost empty house this week while the big boys are out of town and it's just Quincy and me. It's so peaceful and clean.  But when I get sent pictures like this of my boys with my cutie pie nephew Braxton, I start missing them something fierce and can't wait to see them tomorrow. #theadventuresofcharlieandcalvin #brothersandcousins #sooooooomanyboys  Temporary post: I'm looking for the cutest non tacky apparel for moms and littles for 4th of July themed blog post. If you have something super cute and available online, shoot me an email to chandra@ohlovelyday.com with subject line "July 4th apparel" and a photo (flat lay preferable but on model ok) at least 600 pixels wide, price, and link to item. I'll choose a variety of my favorite 15 and will email you if yours was chosen. And tag a shop if you have seen something cute that I should check out. TIA (these cute swim shorts are by @trendybubs btw )
       Happy 4 months my chubby bunny! It's crazy to think that 8 years ago today your pops asked me to marry him and now here you are already 4 months old. You are happy and smiling 90% of the time and still screamy 10% of the time. Much better, but your unpredictable screaminess still pops up at the times when I'm trying to get out of the house or eat, usually both at once. I can take a hint. You are 17 lbs and almost 26 inches - putting you in the 90th % for height and 80th for weight. Oh, and your head is in the 94th % - which I'm fine with since it was a nice slightly below average size when you were born. You are hilariously huge  Your daddy says if you keep growing like this people are going to start calling you Hodor You have rolled from belly to back a few times (a small miracle given your size and how little floor time you've been able to have due to your reflux), scoot yourself with your feet when laying on your back, have reached for and grabbed a toy, and are a chatterbox. You like music, like being held in sitting and standing positions, and really wanna eat your hands. You are a champion napper -- usually taking a 2-3 hr one in the morning and a good afternoon one as well. I can even put you down without soothing you to sleep first and you fall asleep on your own - something that your brothers didn't do until at least 6 months old. You're sleeping from around 7:30 pm - 7 am, waking around 3:30 for a snack (you're totally not hungry either, you just miss me). You're just the cutest with your fat rolls and cheek dimps and duck fluff hair and big gummy smiles and you have everyone of us completely smitten.  #quincysmonthbymonth  We didn't remember to take his 4 month photos today (we'll just pretend the 26th is tomorrow ) but we did manage a photo for #rednoseday. Don't forget to donate! @rednosedayusa ❣#doitforthekids