• 7 Tips for Finding Your Wedding Dress

7 tips for finding your wedding dress from oh lovely dayShopping for your wedding dress is one of the most anticipated pre-wedding moments for every bride.  But just because you are excited about it doesn’t mean it will go smoothly, or even be fun. But it SHOULD be fun.  If you prepare ahead of time and follow these tips, your wedding dress shopping experience will be both fun and productive.

1.  Do some “window” shopping first.  You know you’ve been looking at the wedding blogs and magazines since the moment you got engaged (probably way before that, am I right?) so you have an idea of what style of gown you like.  That’s good.  You should have an idea of what you like (for me: lace, strapless) what you don’t like (beaded or blinged out), and what your deal breakers are (laces up the back or pick ups).  Tear out photos, start a pinterest board, start bundling on Loverly, and collect your favorite looks.

2.  Do your research.  If you find a dress you just HAVE to try on in person, research what bridal shops or stores carry that gown.  Many of you might not know this, but every bridal shop does not carry every wedding dress or designer.  You can see where certain designers are sold on their websites or call a shop directly and ask if they carry a specific designer or gown.

3. Make a shop list and then make appointments.  Once you find the bridal shop carrying your ‘dream gown’ put it on your shop list.  Ask your friends what bridal shops they loved, or look for ones in your area that is highly reviewed on the blogs or sites like WeddingWire. Once you have two or three listed, call and make an appointment.  I would not recommend going to more than one shop in a day – it can get VERY overwhelming (trust me on this).

7 tips for finding your wedding dress from oh lovely day

4.  Only take along your essential people.  Are you a bride that will not try on a wedding gown without her mom present?  Then bring her.  Do you need your bestie there to help you and give her opinion?  Take her with you.  But DO NOT take your grandma, aunt, cousin, cousin’s cousin, your little sister, her best friend, and fifteen other people with you.  You think it will be fun to have everyone there, but it isn’t.  There are too many opinions, too many voices, too many people.  Especially if it is your first time trying on dresses (which means you probably won’t be buying anything out of the gate anyways) you want as few people as possible there with you.  You can always go back with more to try it on before you buy it or when you go back for a fitting.  But you do not need the pressure, or the opinions.  You’re going to thank me for this one, I promise.

5.  Know your budget and stick to it.  There is no point in trying on $10,000 wedding gowns if your max budget is $2,000.  And you will, inevitably, fall in love with a gown that is out of your price range.  Set a realistic budget (and don’t forget tax, alterations, and accessories) and stick to it.

6.  Do not plan to buy a dress your first time out.  In fact, DO NOT buy a dress your first time out.  Buying a wedding dress can be a bit like buying a car: it is overwhelming and you may fall in love quickly, but there are SO MANY others out there and lots of deals to be had.  Also, you may get pressured to buy something that day, on the spot.  Don’t.  If you walk away from the dress and the shop, it will still be there and you can always go back.  But more often than not, you will find another dress and fall in love again if you buy too early.  Take your time.  Try on lots of dresses.  Shop at a couple of different places.  Compare prices, compare styles, compare your favorites.  Even if you absolutely fall in love with a dress and you know it is THE ONE, try not to buy it unless there is a sample sale or an incredible deal offered.  You need to think about it.  It isn’t going anywhere.

7.  Be open to styles or dresses you didn’t know you would like.  Sometimes a dress looks bad on a hanger but fabulous on a body.  Or sometimes you might fall in love with a specific style, but the gown does not love your body (think a fit and flare or mermaid gown with a big booty – not the best combo).  You have to be open, because the perfect gown might not be the one you expect.  And you don’t want to buy a gown you always dreamed of, just because you always loved it, and have it look bad on you.  You want the gown to flatter you and make you look fabulous.

7 tips for finding your wedding dress

A couple of other mini-tips: don’t go in with high expectations (hard, I know).  I went to a well reputed bridal shop in Orange County and had THE WORST experience ever.  Aside from driving back to LA on the freeway next to Denzel Washington and having him make eyes at me or my mom (or at me AND my mom), the whole day was a bust.  And be open to other methods of getting your dream gown.  If you haven’t read my wedding dress shopping experience, do that too – maybe you’ll get your dream dress at a huge discount like I did!  Oh, and don’t forget to wear underwear and take a strapless bra with you (though you may not want to wear one, but it is good to have just in case).

Happy shopping brides!  And for you pros, did I miss any tips?  Anything you would add?  Share your experience.  And if you’re in the “window shopping” phase, be sure to check out my Bridal Market 2014 post for ideas and my bridal gowns pinterest board for inspiration.

Oh, and did you know Oh Lovely Day is now on Bloglovin!? This is especially now that Google Reader is going away soon, so be sure to Follow my blog with Bloglovin so you don’t miss any of the lovely.

{photo credits} photo by KT Merry via Style Me Pretty / photo by Kamee June via Oh Lovely Day / photo by Jennifer Roper from my wedding

Both Kamee June and Jennifer Roper are members of our handpicked Lovely Vendor Guide.  If you would like to be considered for our guide, apply here.

Leave a comment.

1. Posted May 7 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Great tips about having only the essential people, loving it on your body vs. the hanger and especially about bringing your own strapless bra! (even if they have “loaners” at the bridal salon, they aren’t always the right size, and it’s a little icky to use a shared one, anyway) It makes all the difference in how you see the dress!

2. Posted May 7 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Love this post. It’s such a realistic look at what is involved with picking out your dress. I love to reiterate that just because you see it hanging on a rack or a mannequin and “YOU” think it doesn’t look right or won’t look good on you. Try it on! You might surprise yourself and end up with a dress that you thought wasn’t your type but looks amazing on you.

3. Posted May 7 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Love these tips! Especially about keeping an open mind about other styles.

4. Posted May 9 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Great tips! Love the tip about not buying a dress the first time out…..great advice!

5. Posted May 25 at 2:00 am | Permalink

Thanks for sharing these invaluable tips.

6. Erica
      Posted Jun 1 at 6:49 am | Permalink

What is the dress in the first picture?! I’ve been looking through Style Me Pretty, but I can’t find it! Please help, I’m in love!

• Posted Jun 1 at 8:34 am | Permalink

if you click on the actual link that says “photo by KT Merry via Style Me Pretty” the link on style me pretty takes you where the dress can be found – I believe it is by Monique Lhuillier.

7. Posted Aug 7 at 6:51 am | Permalink

I am deeply in love with her dress!! I think your dress pictured is better. Thanks for sharing!

8. Anne
      Posted Oct 10 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Great tips but I’m not sure I agree with all of this! I purchased my gown the first shop and the first day. I tried on over 10 dresses and just knew it was the one. Some people are not shoppers and that is okay. As long as you love it… why drive yourself crazy going to so many stores? You will just confuse yourself!
      You have to trust your judgment and not others! My mom and I have different taste. I did not want the ball gown she wanted me to wear so I went with what made me feel beautiful. I agree that you should have an open mind.

9. Posted Dec 10 at 1:04 am | Permalink

Hello there! I could have sworn I’ve been
      to your blog before but after going through many of the
      articles I realized it’s new to me. Nonetheless, I’m
      certainly happy I found it and I’ll be bookmarking it and checking
      back frequently!

10. Posted Sep 29 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

Love these tips!You might surprise yourself and end up with a dress that you thought wasn’t your type but looks amazing on you.My friend bought a wedding dress last month,and she tried a dress which is not her style.It was amazing that the dress fitted her perfect.

11. Posted Nov 8 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

It will help you have a good budget and a possible discounted beach wedding package if
      you will prefer to celebrate your wedding on a non-holiday season. Morgan Hamilton offers expert advice and great tips regarding all aspects concerning wedding.
      Make preparations to get to the location early so that you are sure everything is going according to

12. Posted Jan 3 at 3:45 am | Permalink

Fantastic post however , I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this topic?
      I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit more.

4 Trackbacks

•  This week was a rough one. I feel like I say that every week but this one really was. Today alone had me at my breaking point. All three of my kids seemed hell bent on driving me crazy. Quincy literally wouldn't let me put him down or leave the room without a major scream-cry fest. He rode around on the fuss bus allllll day. Tropical storm Calvin left destruction in his wake everywhere he went (if you follow me on snap/stories you got a little sampling but that was nowhere near the extent of it). At one point I went into a room away from my kids and sat in a chair and cried. Within three minutes one of them found me (of course) gave me a hug, and we were all better (except Calvin -- I think this is his permanent state ). This photo is my version of thinking happy thoughts. Bougainvillea vibes ✌️️✨  And just like that, summer is back  Take me back to the fall weather of two days ago! Also, take me back to when this kid slept past 5 am and took naps. For a week now, between 4:30-5:30 am this kid climbs up on our bed over top of me and proceeds to squrim, poke, and annoy me till I get up. Quincy's sleeping till 6 or later FINALLY and now Calvin is waking me up!? And he refused to nap today (again) too. Seriously you guys, he's killin' me. He looks real cute in rain gear but if he does it again tonight he's headed to toddler military school. #sotiredineedanewwordfortired #calvins3rdyear #battlefieldmotherhood
       You know what is a great motivator? Not wanting to be outdone by your big bro. Cause look who's pulling himself up, so he can keep up  #quincysmilestones #calvinandquincy #lawdhelpme #charlieandcalsroomredo  There were very few baby things I hadn't yet tried by the time I had Quincy but I hadn't really used a sling before. I got my first sling when I was still pregnant with Q and tried it with Calvin, but once Cal was walking he never wanted to be carried. He's far too busy for all that. So Quincy is the first baby I've used a sling with, and I feel like I really missed out with the other two. I had and loved other carriers with them (and still do) but there is just something about the sling that is magical and it is my carrier of choice right now. It is convenient (you can keep it threaded and just throw it on), it is cozy, it doesn't tightly wrap behind my back which always makes me sweaty, and I can nurse while Quincy is in it which has been a lifesaver. I'm actually nursing him in this photo! I'm sharing photos from our recent visit to the pumpkin patch and how I got to do all the things with my family while wearing Quincy in the sling because I didn't have to stay with him in the stroller or go find a place to nurse him. He chilled, ate, and napped in my sling. And because I love it so much I'm teaming up with @mywildbird to give one reader a sling of their choice! Head to my blog to enter (link in profile) and tell your friends  #OLDfavefinds #babywearing #mywildbird #giveaway #fredrickfamfallfun