It’s crazy how far technology has come and how it has transformed the way we plan, inspire, and share our weddings. When I was married almost 4 years ago instagram didn’t even exist. These days most of your guests are taking photos at your wedding with their smart phone. And most of them are probably on instagram. So why not follow these tips for making the most out of instagramming your wedding! It is a great way to see your guests’ perspectives of the fun and all of their personal photos from the day.
1. Let people know: Create a great sign explaining that you want people to share your wedding on instagram and put it somewhere that you’ll know they’ll see it (consider including it in your programs!)
2. Create a personal hashtag: Make sure to create and share your personal wedding hashtag (and try to make it unique so someone else isn’t using it for their wedding as well)
3. Get creative in spreading the word: Find a way to let guests know to instagram your wedding, in case they miss your sign. These drink stirs are a fun idea!
4. Get the ball rolling: Instagram a photo or two yourself so if people check the hashtag they’re encouraged to do so as well. It’s sort of like getting on the dance floor first – once you do it they’ll follow suit.
5. Share your hashtag with guests who can’t attend so they can follow along . This will make them feel like they are a part of your day too!
6.Last, but maybe most important, remind your guests to save their photos to their camera roll in their instagram settings. Otherwise, you can actually physically get those photos yourself, you can only look at them. You obviously want to be able to save them yourself, be able to print them, create an album with them, and access them in the future beyond instagram. So, repeat after me, SAVE TO CAMERA ROLL.
UPDATE: Thanks to our reader Mallory over on our facebook page, we have a 7th tip to share: you can save all of your hashtagged photos to a dropbox, so you don’t have to collect all of the photos from your guests – they’ll save to your dropbox automatically! How amazing is that!? You can find more info here.
There are other ways to get your guests to photograph and share photos and videos from your wedding, which I’ll discuss another time, but as a major fan of instagram myself, I love the idea of sharing peeks of your day with your guests.
Are you planning to instagram your wedding? How are you planning to spread the word?