I instagrammed this treat a few days ago and promised I would share the recipe. While I wouldn’t call these bars “clean eating”, they are low-fat, relatively healthy for a dessert, and SUPER easy (there are only 4 ingredients, including the fruit!). Oh, and they’re delicious. They’re the perfect summer treat to celebrate July 4th!
- Box of Angel Food Cake
- One 15 oz jar or can of lemon fruit filling or pie filling
- Sweet Red Cherries, stems and pits removed (if you need a pitter, I love this one)
- Preheat the oven to 350
- In a large bowl, stir together one box of Angel Food Cake and one 15 oz can or jar of lemon filling. Stir until mixed but still lumpy.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9×14 inch pan.
- Place cherries into the mixture to make your American Flag stripes. It is better to leave at least an inch or two of space between so the cake can bake fully.
- Place the blueberries in the upper left corner of the pan in the cake mixture, to make the “stars” fo the flag.
- Optional: dust the top lightly with powdered sugar.
- Bake for at least 30 minutes, or until golden brown all over. You may have to bake for a few more minutes if you notice the cake around the fruit isn’t fully baked.
- Once cooked, allow bars to cool fully before cutting.
- Slice and enjoy!
I’m sorry I don’t have a photo of the finished product, but they were gone fast! They slice well and make a great dessert for July 4th picnics. What is your favorite July 4th treat? Cocktail, grill recipe, dessert – do share! Happy 4th.