Today’s DIY came about accidentally. I was making pom poms for a baby shower and I also had spray painted some driftwood gold for another project, and suddenly a light bulb went off. Isn’t that how the best creative projects happen? I love the pom mobile for a nursery, but it’s also cool enough to hang anywhere in your home.
What you’ll need:
- yarn in your favorite colors
- a pom pom maker
- driftwood or large stick
- gold spray paint
- small sewing scissors
- a cord for hanging the mobile
First, make your pom poms. Here is a step-by-step tutorial for making the pom poms using a pom maker.
1. Wrap yarn around one side of the pom maker like in the photo in the first photo. Once you have it covered in yarn as shown wrap the other side the same way.
2. Close the pom maker and cut a piece of yarn about 6 inches long to wrap around the pom.
3. Cut the yarn (see photo 3) along the length of the pom maker.
4. Tie the 6 inch piece of yarn tightly around the center of the pom maker, where you just cut the yarn (see photo 5).
5. Pull the pieces of the pom maker apart, leaving you with one completed pom pom.
Make enough poms as you want for your mobile. You can make varying sizes by using different size pom makers. You can even make multi-color poms by wrapping different colors of yarn on one pom maker at a time.
Next you need to spray paint your driftwood. Once you’ve done that and it has dried, you can tie the poms on your mobile.
Finally, once your poms are in place, tie your cord around each end of the driftwood and hang it!
I love the idea of lots of these in different sizes for a wedding installation too. It would make a great ceremony or photobooth backdrop! Or make some for a baby shower and then baby can use one for his or her mobile. Such a sweet touch.