{It’s in the Details + A DIY} Turn any jar into an aqua mason jar!

Hiya!  Today I’m guest posting for Chrissy of The Perfect Palette while she is on vacation.  I did a fall palette and inspiration board for her {go see it here}, so here on Oh Lovely Day I’m going to share a DIY with you that will help bring that palette to life.  And it will also satisfy my mason jar loving readers, and I know there are a lot of you!  I’m going to tell you how to turn any clear jar into an aqua mason jar!

So I can’t take credit for this genius idea.  I found the tutorial on Craftberry Bush.DIY make your own aqua mason jars via oh lovely day

Materials needed:
-Clear jars
-Modge podge or white Elmer’s glue
-Paint brush
-Green & blue food coloring

Instructions:
– In a small bowl mix (approx.) 1 tsp glue or modge podge, 2 drops blue and 1 drop green food coloring, 1 1/2 tsp of water (this amount will color around 3 jars)
– Mix together with a small paint brush
-Using even strokes, brush the outside of jar from top to bottom.  Be careful not to use too much to avoid clumping.  The streaks will become invisible when dry.
– Turn upside down on a paper towel and let dry

*Warning* the paint will chip or wash off, so you have to paint the outside so you can use them as floral containers like this:

DIY make your own aqua mason jars via oh lovely day | photo by Jennifer Roper
Or as floating candle luminaries, like this:
DIY make your own aqua mason jars via oh lovely day | photo by Jennifer Roper
{above two photos by Jennifer Roper}

For the full tutorial with photos and additional methods and instructions, go to Craftberry Bush.  And if you do this DIY, I would love to hear all about it!

1. Posted Sep 6 at 6:58 am | Permalink

Thanks so much for sharing this tutorial!

2. Posted Sep 6 at 7:12 am | Permalink

i can’t get enough of aqua mason jars

3. Posted Sep 6 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Awesome DIY tutorial! Thanks for sharing! The blue jars are so pretty, but they’re pretty difficult to find, I think, so this is great!

4. Posted Sep 6 at 10:46 am | Permalink

I didn’t realize how easy transforming a mason jar could be! Thanks for sharing 🙂

5. Posted Sep 6 at 11:40 am | Permalink

These are so pretty! Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

6. Posted Sep 6 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Great idea! Love it!

7. Posted Sep 6 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Nothing better than an aqua blue mason jar!! Love this! Thanks for sharing!!

8. Posted Sep 9 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

I can’t wait to try this! I will be heading to the store tomorrow!

9. Posted Nov 2 at 2:51 am | Permalink

You know, I was wondering, why not seal it with clear varnish after completion. This way it wont chip. What say?

10. Posted Dec 17 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Sweet tutorial. I have dozens of empty baby food jars I’ve been wanting to give new life to and what better way than to try this out 🙂

11. Posted Dec 17 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

I will never ever tire of mason jars. I’m quite sure I will just adore them forever!

12. Posted Feb 7 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

These are great – I’ve been looking around like crazy for these jars (and collecting clear glass jars in the meantime) … as I’m having a wedding guest list of 300 and will need approximately 3-5 jars per table. This post has made my day.

Shari from http://www.goodfoodweek.blogspot.com and my wedding blog is now http://www.shariandphillip.projectwedding.com

13. Posted Apr 18 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

Thanks for this! Didn’t have any luck using Elmer’s (it was either streaky or frosted-looking), but the mod podge works great!

• Oh Lovely Day is the go-to blog on motherhood, product recommendations and parenting tips, family and home, and wedding.
  • shop my current favorite things

•  7 years and three babies ago we celebrated our one month wedding anniversary in Florence on our honeymoon. I miss having traveling adventures with you. We're on a different kind of adventure now (one with even better views but an even harder climb to the top) but someday we'll get to do this again. Side note: I also miss being this size, so I'll put that on the "hopefully someday" list too #goals #beforebabies #grainybutgood  Surprised this fella with a solo ice cream date after school today and it was good. The company and the ice cream.
     Can I please freeze time and keep him this sweet bonnet wearing, sling loving chubby baby forever? #allthefeels #themorebabiesyouhavethemorebabiesyouwant #quincyrhys  Cure for this heatwave? Slowly walking around in air conditioned Trader Joe's and buying all of the mini pumpkins  it worked for a little while.
%d bloggers like this: