• {DIY} Ribbon + Lace Backdrop Tutorial

Today’s DIY comes to you from a new contributor! I’m hoping to share many more fab DIYs thanks to my lovely contributors.

Hello Oh Lovely Day readers! I’m Michaela and I’m thrilled to be sharing a recent Do it Yourself project. My cousin is getting married in March and her wedding is going to be a gorgeous mix of blush pink, mercury glass, metallic finishes, luscious flowers and pretty, eclectic details. She’s going to have a photo booth in one corner of the reception for guests to play around with, so we decided to create the backdrop ourselves.  With about 20 yards of various shades of pink, gray and cream ribbon, we did just that!  Here’s how we did it:

Materials: Glue gun, ribbon, cord, lace,  rope or a strong pipping (to attach all your ribbon to), tape measure, and scissors.

• Step 1: With your tape measure, measure how wide you want your ribbon backdrop to span. We made ours 6ft wide by 5ft long, because we figured that was large enough for a few people to fit into one photo frame.
    • Step 2: Cut your strips of ribbon and lace and lay them out in the pattern you want to glue them in.  I suggest this, because we realized we bought about 10 rolls of ribbon we weren’t going to need– back to the store they went!
    • Step 3: Wrap the top of the ribbon around the cord.  We chose a sturdy white cord typically used for trim. It’s the perfect weight to hold all this ribbon.  We wanted to be able to adjust the positioning of the ribbon on the day of (in case anything needed to be fixed due to travel), so we made the ribbon wrap around the cord which enables it to be slid right or left, similar to a curtain panel on a rod.
    • Step 4: Continue gluing ribbon until you reach the end of the cord.  Leave about 8 inches on either end so you can easily tie the ribbon backdrop wherever you need to attach it.

*images by michaela noelle designs

We’re so excited about how it turned out.  Thanks so much, Chandra, for letting me share our pink and lace photo booth backdrop project. You’re a doll 🙂

1. Posted Feb 19 at 7:05 am | Permalink

Love this DIY and I’m pinning it for my wedding! xoxo, Lindsay

2. Charlotte
      Posted Feb 19 at 7:28 am | Permalink

I love this, also love ribbons done in the same way on chairs, they look great x

3. Posted Feb 19 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Thanks for sharing the ribbon backdrop, Chandra! So fun 🙂 xoxo
      Michaela

4. Posted Feb 19 at 10:41 am | Permalink

so pretty! thanks for sharing this!

5. Posted Feb 19 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Gorgeous!!!

6. Posted Feb 19 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

LOVE this!

7. Liz aka @weddfest
      Posted Feb 24 at 1:24 am | Permalink

Perfect and something even I could manage!

8. Pat
      Posted Jan 10 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

I am wondering just how much ribbon this took? Did you mean 20 yards or 20 bolts of ribbon? Or 20 yards of each color? It’s very pretty. Thanks.

9. Posted Apr 15 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

would love to know how much ribbon was used for these measurements? Love it!

10. rachel smalley
      Posted Feb 20 at 7:33 am | Permalink

i love this! for sure using this as house decor. (from laurens biggest fan)

• CURRENT OBSESSIONS

•  Ice Cube = it's Friday! Cause, FRIDAY. duh. #byefelicia #optimist #quincyrhys  THREE MONTHS OLD (and two days)! Wow. I cannot believe it. You might be the smiley-est baby I've ever met, which is saying a lot considering how miz you were your first few weeks of life. You are doing so much better with your reflux (thank you Prevacid!) and can finally lay flat, don't scream in your infant seat, and mostly tolerate the bath. You still freak out a little when I try to take you places, but staying home for three months will do that to ya. We're slowly venturing out, taking walks, and getting a bit more social. You still love to nurse and be worn but you also love being put in your bouncer and on your playmat/gym. You are babbling like crazy, laughing, smiling at your brothers a lot (even Calvin, even when he's a little rough with his love). They both love you so much and think you are so cute. Tonight Charlie said "Quincy, how cute are you!? No, seriously, HOW CUTE ARE YOU!?" You weigh a whopping 15 pounds (your brothers were only 13.5 at 4 months!) You have so many rolls I have to make sure you aren't hiding food or growing a garden in them. And you have sweaty feet! It's so weird. Your night sleep is not bad but not amazing - you sleep from 7:30 or 8 pm till 1:30 or 2 am, eat, and then go back to sleep but lately are waking up every 1.5-2 hrs after that even though you don't seem to be hungry. You still sleep in the rock-n-play so I'm hoping to get you in your bassinet soon since your reflux is improving. Calvin was sleeping 10-12 straight hours already. But you take great naps - one 3 hour nap in the morning and usually a 2 hr nap in the afternoon. You're pretty dependable that way, and for the record both of your brothers struggled with naps for a while. I'd rather have more night sleep but I'll take what I can get. You've discovered your hands and are trying to suck your thumb/fist. When you cry, you really cry. Like full on wailing or no crying at all. And you have white duck fluff sticking up all over your head. I love how you stretch and pucker your lips when I take you out of the swaddle and how when you first wake up and focus your eyes on me you greet me with the biggest smile ever. Every single time.  #quincysmonthbymonth
       The windows are open and a breeze is blowing in the smell of the night blooming jasmine outside. Calvin is napping. Quincy is nursing. Chili is cooking. I got decent sleep last night and had a productive morning. We have family plans with friends this evening. The wine is chilling. I got these flowers from Trader Joes for $7 and the ranunculus are the prettiest yellow. They reminded me of someone which reminded me to stop and appreciate every single thing I just listed and more. Every giggle, every smile, every breath, every cuddle. Every quiet moment. Every loud moment. Every single moment. Everything.  Neighborhood strollin' with 2 of ma 3 homies #calvinandquincy