{DIY} Ribbon + Lace Backdrop Tutorial

Today’s DIY comes to you from a new contributor! I’m hoping to share many more fab DIYs thanks to my lovely contributors.

Hello Oh Lovely Day readers! I’m Michaela and I’m thrilled to be sharing a recent Do it Yourself project. My cousin is getting married in March and her wedding is going to be a gorgeous mix of blush pink, mercury glass, metallic finishes, luscious flowers and pretty, eclectic details. She’s going to have a photo booth in one corner of the reception for guests to play around with, so we decided to create the backdrop ourselves.  With about 20 yards of various shades of pink, gray and cream ribbon, we did just that!  Here’s how we did it:

Materials: Glue gun, ribbon, cord, lace,  rope or a strong pipping (to attach all your ribbon to), tape measure, and scissors.

• Step 1: With your tape measure, measure how wide you want your ribbon backdrop to span. We made ours 6ft wide by 5ft long, because we figured that was large enough for a few people to fit into one photo frame.
  • Step 2: Cut your strips of ribbon and lace and lay them out in the pattern you want to glue them in.  I suggest this, because we realized we bought about 10 rolls of ribbon we weren’t going to need– back to the store they went!
  • Step 3: Wrap the top of the ribbon around the cord.  We chose a sturdy white cord typically used for trim. It’s the perfect weight to hold all this ribbon.  We wanted to be able to adjust the positioning of the ribbon on the day of (in case anything needed to be fixed due to travel), so we made the ribbon wrap around the cord which enables it to be slid right or left, similar to a curtain panel on a rod.
  • Step 4: Continue gluing ribbon until you reach the end of the cord.  Leave about 8 inches on either end so you can easily tie the ribbon backdrop wherever you need to attach it.

*images by michaela noelle designs

We’re so excited about how it turned out.  Thanks so much, Chandra, for letting me share our pink and lace photo booth backdrop project. You’re a doll 🙂

1. Posted Feb 19 at 7:05 am | Permalink

Love this DIY and I’m pinning it for my wedding! xoxo, Lindsay

2. Charlotte
    Posted Feb 19 at 7:28 am | Permalink

I love this, also love ribbons done in the same way on chairs, they look great x

3. Posted Feb 19 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Thanks for sharing the ribbon backdrop, Chandra! So fun 🙂 xoxo
    Michaela

4. Posted Feb 19 at 10:41 am | Permalink

so pretty! thanks for sharing this!

5. Posted Feb 19 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Gorgeous!!!

6. Posted Feb 19 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

LOVE this!

7. Liz aka @weddfest
    Posted Feb 24 at 1:24 am | Permalink

Perfect and something even I could manage!

8. Pat
    Posted Jan 10 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

I am wondering just how much ribbon this took? Did you mean 20 yards or 20 bolts of ribbon? Or 20 yards of each color? It’s very pretty. Thanks.

9. Posted Apr 15 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

would love to know how much ribbon was used for these measurements? Love it!

10. rachel smalley
    Posted Feb 20 at 7:33 am | Permalink

i love this! for sure using this as house decor. (from laurens biggest fan)

• Oh Lovely Day is the go-to blog on motherhood, product recommendations and parenting tips, family and home, and wedding.
  • shop my current favorite things

•  7 years and three babies ago we celebrated our one month wedding anniversary in Florence on our honeymoon. I miss having traveling adventures with you. We're on a different kind of adventure now (one with even better views but an even harder climb to the top) but someday we'll get to do this again. Side note: I also miss being this size, so I'll put that on the "hopefully someday" list too #goals #beforebabies #grainybutgood  Surprised this fella with a solo ice cream date after school today and it was good. The company and the ice cream.
     Can I please freeze time and keep him this sweet bonnet wearing, sling loving chubby baby forever? #allthefeels #themorebabiesyouhavethemorebabiesyouwant #quincyrhys  Cure for this heatwave? Slowly walking around in air conditioned Trader Joe's and buying all of the mini pumpkins  it worked for a little while.
%d bloggers like this: