• {DIY} Ribbon + Lace Backdrop Tutorial

Today’s DIY comes to you from a new contributor! I’m hoping to share many more fab DIYs thanks to my lovely contributors.

Hello Oh Lovely Day readers! I’m Michaela and I’m thrilled to be sharing a recent Do it Yourself project. My cousin is getting married in March and her wedding is going to be a gorgeous mix of blush pink, mercury glass, metallic finishes, luscious flowers and pretty, eclectic details. She’s going to have a photo booth in one corner of the reception for guests to play around with, so we decided to create the backdrop ourselves.  With about 20 yards of various shades of pink, gray and cream ribbon, we did just that!  Here’s how we did it:

Materials: Glue gun, ribbon, cord, lace,  rope or a strong pipping (to attach all your ribbon to), tape measure, and scissors.

• Step 1: With your tape measure, measure how wide you want your ribbon backdrop to span. We made ours 6ft wide by 5ft long, because we figured that was large enough for a few people to fit into one photo frame.
    • Step 2: Cut your strips of ribbon and lace and lay them out in the pattern you want to glue them in.  I suggest this, because we realized we bought about 10 rolls of ribbon we weren’t going to need– back to the store they went!
    • Step 3: Wrap the top of the ribbon around the cord.  We chose a sturdy white cord typically used for trim. It’s the perfect weight to hold all this ribbon.  We wanted to be able to adjust the positioning of the ribbon on the day of (in case anything needed to be fixed due to travel), so we made the ribbon wrap around the cord which enables it to be slid right or left, similar to a curtain panel on a rod.
    • Step 4: Continue gluing ribbon until you reach the end of the cord.  Leave about 8 inches on either end so you can easily tie the ribbon backdrop wherever you need to attach it.

*images by michaela noelle designs

We’re so excited about how it turned out.  Thanks so much, Chandra, for letting me share our pink and lace photo booth backdrop project. You’re a doll 🙂

1. Posted Feb 19 at 7:05 am | Permalink

Love this DIY and I’m pinning it for my wedding! xoxo, Lindsay

2. Charlotte
      Posted Feb 19 at 7:28 am | Permalink

I love this, also love ribbons done in the same way on chairs, they look great x

3. Posted Feb 19 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Thanks for sharing the ribbon backdrop, Chandra! So fun 🙂 xoxo
      Michaela

4. Posted Feb 19 at 10:41 am | Permalink

so pretty! thanks for sharing this!

5. Posted Feb 19 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Gorgeous!!!

6. Posted Feb 19 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

LOVE this!

7. Liz aka @weddfest
      Posted Feb 24 at 1:24 am | Permalink

Perfect and something even I could manage!

8. Pat
      Posted Jan 10 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

I am wondering just how much ribbon this took? Did you mean 20 yards or 20 bolts of ribbon? Or 20 yards of each color? It’s very pretty. Thanks.

9. Posted Apr 15 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

would love to know how much ribbon was used for these measurements? Love it!

10. rachel smalley
      Posted Feb 20 at 7:33 am | Permalink

i love this! for sure using this as house decor. (from laurens biggest fan)

• CURRENT OBSESSIONS

•  If there's one bit of wisdom I could share with other parents that I have learned with absolute certainty as a mom of three it is this: sleep begets sleep. The better they sleep, the more they sleep. The more they sleep, the better they sleep. It might not make sense that putting your baby down at 7 instead of 8 or 9 will get him to sleep longer, but by god it does. I'm gonna share all of my tips on getting your babes to be good sleepers. But first I wanted to talk about infant reflux -- our experience with it and what has worked for us in dealing with it -- because I know many of you are also struggling with it. And it's just beyond the pits. So head to the blog tomorrow to read that post and I promise to get the sleep one up soon. I feel like I could write a whole book on it at this point. Maybe I should write a whole book on it... 🤔 Also, This picture of Quincy from his nap today is totally distracting me from getting any work done at all. Because those cheeks and lips are all I can handle right now  #quincyrhys  This is how the two of us get to experience most of our family of five adventures, and I don't think either of us would change it one bit. #fredrickfamilysummer #OLDsfaveplacesinLA
       I slay (my momma) #quincyrhys  Someone's having his best day ever