• {DIY} Ribbon + Lace Backdrop Tutorial

Today’s DIY comes to you from a new contributor! I’m hoping to share many more fab DIYs thanks to my lovely contributors.

Hello Oh Lovely Day readers! I’m Michaela and I’m thrilled to be sharing a recent Do it Yourself project. My cousin is getting married in March and her wedding is going to be a gorgeous mix of blush pink, mercury glass, metallic finishes, luscious flowers and pretty, eclectic details. She’s going to have a photo booth in one corner of the reception for guests to play around with, so we decided to create the backdrop ourselves.  With about 20 yards of various shades of pink, gray and cream ribbon, we did just that!  Here’s how we did it:

Materials: Glue gun, ribbon, cord, lace,  rope or a strong pipping (to attach all your ribbon to), tape measure, and scissors.
    • Step 1: With your tape measure, measure how wide you want your ribbon backdrop to span. We made ours 6ft wide by 5ft long, because we figured that was large enough for a few people to fit into one photo frame.
    • Step 2: Cut your strips of ribbon and lace and lay them out in the pattern you want to glue them in.  I suggest this, because we realized we bought about 10 rolls of ribbon we weren’t going to need– back to the store they went!
    • Step 3: Wrap the top of the ribbon around the cord.  We chose a sturdy white cord typically used for trim. It’s the perfect weight to hold all this ribbon.  We wanted to be able to adjust the positioning of the ribbon on the day of (in case anything needed to be fixed due to travel), so we made the ribbon wrap around the cord which enables it to be slid right or left, similar to a curtain panel on a rod.
    • Step 4: Continue gluing ribbon until you reach the end of the cord.  Leave about 8 inches on either end so you can easily tie the ribbon backdrop wherever you need to attach it.

*images by michaela noelle designs

We’re so excited about how it turned out.  Thanks so much, Chandra, for letting me share our pink and lace photo booth backdrop project. You’re a doll 🙂

1. Posted Feb 19 at 7:05 am | Permalink

Love this DIY and I’m pinning it for my wedding! xoxo, Lindsay

2. Charlotte
      Posted Feb 19 at 7:28 am | Permalink

I love this, also love ribbons done in the same way on chairs, they look great x

3. Posted Feb 19 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Thanks for sharing the ribbon backdrop, Chandra! So fun 🙂 xoxo

4. Posted Feb 19 at 10:41 am | Permalink

so pretty! thanks for sharing this!

5. Posted Feb 19 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

6. Posted Feb 19 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

LOVE this!

7. Liz aka @weddfest
      Posted Feb 24 at 1:24 am | Permalink

Perfect and something even I could manage!

8. Pat
      Posted Jan 10 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

I am wondering just how much ribbon this took? Did you mean 20 yards or 20 bolts of ribbon? Or 20 yards of each color? It’s very pretty. Thanks.

9. Posted Apr 15 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

would love to know how much ribbon was used for these measurements? Love it!

10. rachel smalley
      Posted Feb 20 at 7:33 am | Permalink

i love this! for sure using this as house decor. (from laurens biggest fan)

•  Three things: 1. You've got one day left to enter my @mywildbird sling giveaway, so head over to my blog (link in profile) and tag your friends. 2. I was featured on @loyal_hana blog as part of their motherhood series, so if you want to give it a read and hear about my typical (hot mess) day or how I (don't) balance work and mothering head to their profile to find the link to their site. I pretty much live in their nursing-friendly clothes and was honored to be featured. 3. Charlie took this picture (and basically directed me for the shot) and it makes me really really happy   Putting the finishing touches on the boys' bedroom and had to stop to admire the magic that the morning light and their @babyjives mobile was making. ✨☁️⭐️❤️✨#charlieandcalsroomredo
       Can a person be your happy place? Because I'm pretty certain that Quincy is mine ☺️✨ #quincyrhys #thatdimpletho  This week was a rough one. I feel like I say that every week but this one really was. Today alone had me at my breaking point. All three of my kids seemed hell bent on driving me crazy. Quincy literally wouldn't let me put him down or leave the room without a major scream-cry fest. He rode around on the fuss bus allllll day. Tropical storm Calvin left destruction in his wake everywhere he went (if you follow me on snap/stories you got a little sampling but that was nowhere near the extent of it). At one point I went into a room away from my kids and sat in a chair and cried. Within three minutes one of them found me (of course) gave me a hug, and we were all better (except Calvin -- I think this is his permanent state ). This photo is my version of thinking happy thoughts. Bougainvillea vibes ✌️️✨