{DIY} Personalized Aisle Runner

DIY personalized aisle runner from Oh Lovely Day

You know that super sweet handmade wedding I featured earlier this week?  (if you missed it, go check it out first, then come back here.  I’m serious, go!)  Well the bride, Angela is sharing the DIY for her awesome personalized aisle runner today.  She is the first official Oh Lovely Day reader DIY submission to be featured, and I hope there are many more to come! (hint hint, wink wink)  So, welcome Angela!

{What You’ll Need}

Iron
-Fabric for runner:  Two tips to remember- you’ll need enough fabric to match the length of your aisle and it is best to use a light colored fabric (I used cream muslin) so your details show up
Fabric for words: The amount you need depends on the number of words you want to use.  It is best to use a solid color fabric (I used black and green) so the words show up.
Wonder Under (also known as fusible web): This is the “glue” you will use to iron your letters onto your runner.  The amount you need depends on the number of letters you want, but it goes fast, so best to have a lot!
Iron-on Transfers for Photos:  For 90% of my photos I used a full page for one photo, so you’ll need the amount of transfers to match the number of photos you want to use.
Storage baggies or folders: You’ll need one for each word to keep your letters organized.
{Now here’s what you do}
But first, a warning:  I am not going to glamorize the time it took to make this runner. I spent a solid couple of days with a friend cutting out the letters and then 6+ hours ironing them on.  This DIY is not for the faint of heart!
{Step 1}
I started the aisle runner with a photo of both myself and my husband as children followed by our first date. The photos then progressed like a time line starting with our first year of dating till the end of the aisle runner and finally ending with Ever After, where my father handed me off.
{Step 2}
I started with picking my favorite photos through the years, vacations, birthdays, picnics etc. Then figuring phrases to go with each photo. ” Road trip to California,” “Craig’s 24th Birthday,” etc.
{Step 3}
I then printed all the words out on regular paper at the size I wanted the words to be. This took about 30 sheets of paper. I used three different fonts, and they were the corresponding fonts I used in the programs. I got the vintage style fonts here.
{Step 4}
Once all the words are printed, trace them onto the wonder under.  Trace onto the side that feels like parchment paper.  It needs to be a mirror image of the words, so flip the printed page over so it is upside down (doing it wrong will make the wording backwards).  Also, it is best to trace with a pen, because if you use a pencil the lead gets on the iron.
{Step 5}
Once all your words are traced, you iron the wonder under onto the fabric you bought for your words. Your iron will touch the side that you traced the letters onto- the parchment paper side.
{Step 6}
Once you have done this and all the words are ironed, cut out all the letters and words, cutting through the wonder under and fabric. But be sure, once you finish a set of words like ” First Date” put it in a baggy or envelope. This will help with the organizing when you are finished and need to lay out all your words on the aisle runner fabric.
{Step 7}
Print all your photos onto photo transfer paper, and to make your life easier match up all the words with the photos before you start just to make sure. You don’t want to be half way though ironing onto your aisle and realize you need a letter.
{Step 8)
Lay out your aisle runner and start laying out and arranging the photos and wording. This needs to be done for spacing.  Otherwise you’ll  run out of space or put all your photos and words in the first 10 feet and have a lot of empty runner.  You’ll need a long hallway or a lot of space so you can lay it out and keep the photos and letters in place.  Or, you may need to pin your photos and words in place if you don’t have the space.  Either way, you’re going to have hours of sitting on the floor ironing 🙂
{Step 9}

Be sure to take the parchment side of the wonder off. Then start ironing!  If you have not used an iron on photo transfers before, be sure to practice on a different piece of fabric.  Once it is ironed onto the aisle runner, it is there permanently.

Once you’re done ironing, you’re DONE!
And hopefully you have something that looks like this…
DIY personalized aisle runner from Oh Lovely Day
You know what makes this DIY even sweeter?  They couple included a crossword puzzle in their program, and most of the answers could be found on the aisle runner, so the guests had a fun game to play while they waited for the ceremony, and the inevitably late guests and start, to happen!

So, which of you brides-to-be out there are going to make this baby?  I’d love to hear.  And if you want to submit a DIY project to me, email photos, a material list, and instructions to me at chandra {at} ohlovelyday {dot} com or click the little envelope at the top right of this page with “DIY submission” in the subject line.  I can’t wait to feature more of your great DIY projects!

Photos by The Other Sister Photography

1. Posted Mar 15 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

What a great project! It would be so awesome if they brought it out at their 50th anniversary party 🙂 The tie in with the crossword puzzle is so cool, too.

2. Posted Mar 15 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

that is such a cool idea!! love it!!

3. Posted Mar 15 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

Chandra, this is the most meaningful thing ever to do, and I instant-teared up to the point that I actually had to look away from the image of the evolution of their relationship in order to recalibrate myself and not actually let the emotional reaction truly blossom.

ps you’re wonderful 🙂

4. Posted Mar 16 at 12:02 am | Permalink

Now, that’s what you call a labor of love! And this process could work for party backdrops, welcome signs, etc. Great tutorial!

5. Posted Mar 16 at 6:45 am | Permalink

I love how personalized this is for a wedding. It’s something that would be nice to pass on for generations to come as well.

6. Posted Mar 19 at 5:03 am | Permalink

that is so nice! love it

7. Posted May 9 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Love your idea! Too bad I got married 33 years ago!

8. Sara Wingfield
    Posted Jun 15 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Starting this project tonight! 28 days till the big day!!

9. Posted Jun 15 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

@Sara: Awesome! Good luck, early congrats, and be sure to send me a pic of the finished product 🙂

10. Posted Jun 22 at 11:08 am | Permalink

What type of fabric is your runner made of? What brand of transfer paper did you use?

11. Anonymous
    Posted Aug 9 at 9:07 am | Permalink

What type of fabric do you recommend using. Also, where can i find the transfer paper as well as the wonder under?

• Posted Aug 9 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

The bride mentions above that she used muslin as her fabric. You can find it, as well as the transfer paper and wonder under at most craft stores, or google it for online places to buy it.

12. Gwen Romeo
    Posted Feb 27 at 9:27 am | Permalink

How wide and long was the runner? I am attempting to do this over the weekend with lots of help. Instead of using fusible web for the letters I will be using fabric pens.

• Posted Feb 27 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Gwen- that really depends on the length and width of your own aisle. You can find rolls of muslin like this bride used in different sizes. good luck!

• Angelica Adkins
        Posted Aug 10 at 8:49 am | Permalink

I’m just wondering do you make this runner for other people and if so how much will it cost?

13. Posted Mar 29 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

You must be 批发高仿烟草 to post a comment.

14. Posted Jul 27 at 4:35 am | Permalink

Hi I just wanted to see how much this cost you to do???

15. Sara Rheaume
    Posted Aug 3 at 8:51 am | Permalink

Thank God I found this website! I plan to make this for my 2014 wedding. I pinned this idea, but then couldn’t find the company that made them. I am so thankful you published your directions and materials. You could start a business! I

16. Zara
    Posted Nov 12 at 11:21 am | Permalink

I did this for our wedding 2 months ago. Took me hours to get it done, but I ‘m so glad I made it! Our guests found it wonderful and unique. Thank you so much for your instructions. You helped me a lot.

17. Jean
    Posted Jan 31 at 8:37 am | Permalink

I’d love to do this what did it cost to do this

18. Maria
    Posted Mar 4 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Could you please tell me how much the wedding runner costs?

19. Jenna
    Posted Mar 13 at 3:35 am | Permalink

Hi you should make these and sell them. I would absolutely buy one from you for my wedding x

20. Posted Apr 9 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

How much did the bride spend to make the DIY aisle runner with photos?

21. San
    Posted Apr 12 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

Did the bride maids walk on the runner before the bride? I am just trying to figure out how this could be incorporated with a traditional wedding.

22. abigail brett
    Posted Jun 23 at 9:55 am | Permalink

I am in the middle of making my aisle runner. i just loved this idea so much. it has taken a long time but it will be worth it

23. Sandra
    Posted Jun 23 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

I have a question. If they put a puzzle in the program for the runner, did the wedding party walk on the runner when they entered or did they roll it up prior to the bride entrance? We only have a center aisle for entrance.

24. Posted Sep 8 at 7:13 am | Permalink

I’m excited to find this great site. I want to to thank you for
    ones time for this fantastic read!! I definitely savored every little bit
    of it and i also have you book-marked to look
    at new things on your web site.

25. Posted Oct 18 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Woah! I’m really loving the template/theme
    of this site. It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s very hard to get that “perfect balance” between user friendliness and visual appearance.
    I must say you have done a superb job with this. Additionally,
    the blog loads extremely quick for me on Firefox.
    Outstanding Blog!

26. Posted Oct 24 at 5:12 am | Permalink

A vacuum-cleaner is the very best of cleansing tools;
    it can be the more costly. There are several different sorts of hoover with various characteristics.
    So before buying a top-rated vacuum-cleaner be sure you know what form of vacuum is most appropriate for your requirements.

Picking the best vacuum-cleaner can be vexing. To simply help make things better you ought to know what the different types of hoover
    are, what the principal qualities you’ll be able to find on a vacuum-cleaner, and desire you sort of flooring you’re going to be utilizing a vacuum-cleaner on.

27. Chelsea
    Posted Oct 31 at 7:39 am | Permalink

I am making one for our wedding in 2 weeks. I have printed my pictures onto the transfer paper. Just wondering what size font the words need to be? I bought the muslin, wonder under and transfer paper at Wal-Mart. They also have it at Hobby Lobby.

• Christine
      Posted Apr 4 at 9:04 am | Permalink

I just bought my fabric for the runner, About print the photos, I’m attempting this 98 days to go….. Hopefully it comes out right! I am thinking of buying fabric letters already cut than cut them myself . You think it would make a difference?

28. keschan
    Posted Apr 19 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

{DIY} PERSONALIZED AISLE RUNNER

By CHANDRA FREDRICKMAR1
    Is there a video I can watch? I don’t understand the instructions. Do I put the letters under? What is a wonder? Please help

29. Kayla
    Posted Jul 2 at 6:29 am | Permalink

I am planning on making this aisle runner for my wedding in August! I am so excited to get it started. I am just wondering what size font you used on the computer to print out the wording? I’m finding it hard to gauge how big the lettering should be. Thanks in advance!

30. The Wrights
    Posted Jul 29 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

THIS IS SOOOOOOO AWESOME!!! We’re going to give it a try for our 15 year Wedding anniversary celebration coming up next month.. So Excited!!! This will add a special touch to our ceremony. Thank you for sharing!!! 🙂

31. Kerry Nicholls
    Posted Sep 24 at 4:22 am | Permalink

I created one of these for my wedding and it went down a storm! I’ve now set up my own little business creating these myself – if you’re interested please get in touch! Everyone absolutely loved it – they look amazing! I can send you some
    Pics of mine if you’d like to have a look. My email is kerrymariewebb88@hotmail.com and my
    Page on Facebook is called Style Your Aisle xx

32. Bianca
    Posted Dec 26 at 9:01 am | Permalink

Thank you for posting this tutorial! I def want to do this for my wedding, but I couldn’t figure out how. Thanks!

33. Jazmin
    Posted Jan 3 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Can you print quotes or words on the photo transfer paper instead of cutting them out individually?

34. Noemi garcia
    Posted Jan 23 at 11:17 am | Permalink

I have a question could u used the actual aisle runner in found some at hobby lobby on the wedding section is called studio his & hers?..or does it have to b the other kind of fabric the store sales?

35. Samantha Hughes
    Posted Feb 24 at 11:04 am | Permalink

I love this ideas however i have no idea about transfers or material.

Do you create these to order?

Would it be possible for me to send over pictures, words and dates for you to create? Depending on cost.

36. ShayStFleury
    Posted Aug 29 at 10:33 am | Permalink

can this be made with the regular aisle runner material?