• {Real Wedding} Jillian & Stephen: An Intimate Scottish Wedding in Texas with Vintage Touches

Ok, ok.  So I’m featuring a Scottish wedding on the 4th of July, BUT it is also a Texas wedding and the red + blue color palette was just too perfect.  Plus, I’m pretty much obsessed with it, and I couldn’t wait.  There are so many great details and personal elements, so I’m going to comment about them throughout the feature and add some words from the bride as well.

vintage DIY Scottish wedding in Texas

Truthfully, some of my most cherished memories of the day are the quiet moments my now-husband and I spent getting ready together that morning.  It meant the world to me that I was able to wear my grandmother’s wedding dress and my mother-in-law’s wedding veil, and my husband wore his own kilt in the muted tartan of MacDonald of Clanranald, with cufflinks that were a wedding gift from his grandmother to his grandfather.

vintage DIY Scottish wedding in Texas
    We put a lot of time and thought into writing the wedding ceremony itself, incorporating a ring warming ceremony and reading two of our favourite poems: an untitled poem by Rainier Maria Rilke and “TeodoroLuna’s Two Kisses” by Alberto Rios. We both teared up during our vows, but luckily, Stephen had stashed some tissues in his sporran (Scottish for “man-purse”) beforehand.

vintage DIY Scottish wedding in Texas
    Stephen and I met almost seven years ago in the Bahamas. After ten weeks spent living in tents, counting fish and falling in love, he went home to Scotland; I, to Texas. For five years, we wrote near-daily love letters from our opposite sides of the Atlantic until finally, in 2009, we both managed to move ourselves to London, and thence to Glasgow. Given the history of our relationship, the vintage airmail theme for our wedding evolved quite naturally; our mutual love of literature and my adoration of antique silver and china neatly rounded out the plans.

vintage DIY Scottish wedding in Texas
    My husband and I spent ages designing, printing (on our trusty little iPixma printer), cutting and assembling all of the paper goods for the wedding, including the programs, table numbers and seat assignments, and personalized notecards we gave as favours.

vintage DIY Scottish wedding in Texas
    And what advice does this bride have for planning couples?  Things will go wrong, so don’t stress. You won’t care, and you may not even know:
    The week after the wedding, my new husband and I had a great laugh when we sat down to think of all the things that actually “went wrong” – I realized the day before the wedding that I’d forgotten to rent tablecloths; our dear friends and ceremony readers had to stay home with a sick child;  I galloped barefoot around the garden all morning setting up tables and then forgot to wash my feet before the wedding;  my meticulously planned table service afternoon tea had to be served as a buffet at the last minute; we ended up with cakes and desserts that were almost all wrong (and a few hours late);  the musicians didn’t learn our recessional; and probably any number of other things about which I never heard! Had anyone suggested to me a month beforehand that so many things would go wrong on the very day I’d been micromanaging for the past year, I probably would have cried. On the day of our wedding, though, I felt as though I was walking on clouds and I don’t think that anything could have dampened my happiness. It was such a peaceful, joyful day surrounded by our favourite people in the world, and all of my memories of the celebration are filled with laughter and contentment.

Isn’t this wedding ridiculously lovely?  And literally every detail, element, and decision has a personal meaning behind it: the airmail theme, the attire, the vintage touches.  And the couple’s story… so romantic!  Oh, and although I never would have done it (or even thought to do it) I sort of LOVE that they got ready together.  There is something so romantic and anticipatory about it, don’t you think?

Oh, and happy July 4th!  And FYI, no post tomorrow since most of you are probably out enjoying the 4th today and won’t see this fab wedding until the 5th.  So enjoy it for two days and come by Friday for some Friday Favorites!

{Vendors} Photographer: Josselyn Peterson / Caterer:  Massoud’s Catering / Day-of Coordinator:  Embellished Events /  Stationery & Paper Goods: DIY by the couple / Bridal Gown:  the bride’s grandmother’s gown / Venue:  Sycamore Heights Bed & Breakfast / Linens and Coverings:  Any Occasion Party Rentals / Jewelry:  SabineA / Officiant:  We Do…I Do’s

1. Posted Jul 4 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

Super, super cute! I love that they got ready together. I never would have thought of that possibility.

2. Posted Jul 5 at 3:20 am | Permalink

I guess this is the first time I’ve seen a Scottish wedding on the 4th of July, and it looks twice the fun. Oh by the way, the wedding details are lovely, and I’m talking about the yummy cupcakes!

3. Posted Jul 5 at 3:21 am | Permalink

Lovely Scottish wedding on the 4th of July. Looks fun and romantic. And the cupcakes are to die for!

4. Posted Jul 5 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

What’s not to love? This is too sweet!

5. Posted Jul 5 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

It seems like such a simple wedding yet it had so many great details incorporated into it. I really appreciated the fact that the couple got ready together. It is a very non-traditional thing to do and I love it! Every wedding should have its own unique touch to it, that’s what makes it so special. The fact that the bride combined so many family items into her wedding outfit is just amazing. Most people are not as lucky to have a dress passed down to them. Another great thing is that the wedding has so many budget-friendly ideas for future brides.
      Overall a very simple yet elegant DIY wedding. Kudos to the photographer and the happy couple, as well as oh-lovely-day.com for the post!

Katarina I.
      Weddingful – Plan a Fabulous Wedding

6. Posted Jul 5 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

Oh this is such a lovely wedding – adore the mix of Scottish and Texan and the vintage airmail theme.

• CURRENT OBSESSIONS

•  Quincy and I went to the #redCARpetsafety event today, which raises awareness for baby safety. Saw friends @uppababy @munchkin @ergobaby @babyganics & made some new ones like @thestep2company @showmeyourmumu as well. Quincy was making eyes at all the ladies, but he flirted the biggest with Caila with the good hair (which should totally be her hashtag). And all the new moms and moms-to-be were asking about this sling @mywildbird! Which made me think of a good #momtip: Taking Quincy on the go is so much easier thanks to babywearing and that @loyal_hana jumpsuit -- the hidden zippers make it so easy to nurse Quincy while wearing him in the sling. No one even knows I'm breastfeeding! Makes it so much easier to go places, especially with other little ones. I did a whole post on ohlovelyday.com about breastfeeding while babywearing if you want more tips! #OLDfavefinds #quincyrhys #babywearing #normalizebreastfeeding  If I got to take two naps a day I'd be this happy too.  And for all of you who have asked me about this playmat, I blogged all about it today -- link in profile. #OLDfavefinds #quincyrhys
       Watching these three interact with each other over breakfast makes me flash forward to seeing them doing the same thing as big boys and teenagers and it makes me smile and shed a little tear at the same time. And then I think about how much cereal and milk I'm gonna have to buy  #thefredrickboys  It's been one of those days (weeks, months, years) where everything is going wrong. Been up since 4:45 since I couldn't get Quincy back to sleep after a feeding. Calvin fell asleep in the stroller on a walk at 10:30 (something he hasn't done since he was like 5 months old!) so his normal nap (my break to eat/shower/work/rest or only have one child to care for for a couple hours) is gone for the day. Quincy pooped all over himself so bad that we were both literally covered in . And he's already woken up from his afternoon nap after only 45 very short minutes. And I'm supposed to have a date with my husband tonight except I'm exhausted and covered in  and have no time to do anything about either one. Oh, and I fell down the stairs (sore but not hurt). Motherhood: somedays you win, somedays you lose. But on all the days you are, to some extent in this season of motherhood, covered in shit.  Here's hoping the weekend is less shitty, in all the ways. #beerme #battlefieldmotherhood