• 11 Things Every Wedding Guest Should Know

11 things every wedding guest should know from oh lovely dayMy planning tips posts are usually written to help the couple, but today’s post is focused on educating your wedding guests.  But trust me, this will help YOU in the long run.  Maybe even more than some of my other tips posts because, let’s face it, sometimes your guests can be a pain in the ass.

While planning my own wedding I was shocked to find that some people (sometimes a lot of them) can’t be bothered to drop a pre-addressed, pre-stamped RSVP in the mail.  They don’t understand why you don’t want their five kids at your wedding.  They insist on requesting an “and guest” on their invite, even though you’ve explained you are only inviting people who know and love and those they love.  So I thought a little etiquette & education for the guests might be in order.

11 things every wedding guest should know from oh lovely day

1.  Send back your freaking RSVP card for the wedding.  Even if you know the couple knows you’re coming.  Even if you are in the wedding.  Even if you aren’t coming.  NO MATTER WHAT.  The couple spent a lot of time and money inviting you, addressing your reply card, and they even put a stamp on it for you.  It could not be easier.  A monkey could do it.  Are you better than a monkey?

2.  Read and review the wedding website before you start asking the couple questions.  Where should we stay?  Where is the wedding?  What time does it start?  What will the weather be like?  These are all answers that can likely be found on a couple’s wedding website.  Again, they spent a lot of time on it, so try to check it out before you waste their time asking questions they’ve spent time trying to answer for you.

3.  Can I Bring a Guest?  Not if you have to ask.   If a partner, friend, significant other, or your child are not written on the invitation, then they are not invited.  If “And Guest” is not written next to your name, then NO, you cannot bring a guest.  This may seem harsh, but venues are sometimes small or formal, and each person’s meal is expensive.  If they didn’t specify an invite, there was a reason.  Don’t ask.

4.  Don’t wear white.  I can’t even believe I have to say it, but I know I do.  It happened at my wedding (though I did not even notice) and many other weddings I’ve been to.  You can wear any other color, but please just leave white for the bride (or whatever color she’s wearing, if you know she’s donning a color other than white).

5.  Don’t Decide to Be the Official Wedding Photographer (or Cinematographer). Unless the couple asks, don’t take it upon yourself to barge in the front of photo ops and take photos, especially flash photos, of official events.  The couple likely paid a pretty (well-spent) penny on a photographer and you are making their job more difficult, not to mention possibly intruding on their photos.

11 things every wedding guest should know from oh lovely day

6.  No Kids Means NO KIDS.  Seriously, I know you love your kids.  I love my kid.  Kids are great.  But some weddings are not kid-friendly and some couples just don’t want them there. Respect that.  Don’t be the a-hole that shows up with a baby at a specified no-kid wedding.

7.  Don’t complain about the bar.  Unless it is a cash bar, then you are 100% allowed to complain (because cash bars should be illegal).  But if the couple is only serving beer and wine or has a cut off time on the bar, just drink the free booze with a smile.  You’ll still get drunk.  You really don’t need a scotch.

(NOTE: due to several comments below stating that my saying “a cash bar should be illegal” comment made them feel bad about their own cash bar: it is just my opinion (and it was said as a joke.  Obviously I think they are a DON’T, but I don’t actually think they should be illegal.)  And by “cash bar” I meant completely unhosted bar.  If you are giving wine at the tables or a signature cocktail, or cutting the bar off after a reasonable period of time due to the fact that your guests have gotten wasted and drank all of your booze, this doesn’t apply to you.  But if you think you don’t have the money to pay for a bar for your guests I have some suggestions for you: rework your budget to make at least beer and/or wine happen, cut your guestlist or consider a different venue if that doesn’t work, get creative, or serve no alcohol.  If you must have a cash bar, warn your guests ahead of time.  I’m sorry if it makes you feel bad for me or others to say cash bars are tacky or will piss off your guests, but that’s the truth.  You have to come to terms with that if you’re going to have one.)

8.  Leave the DJ alone, for the most part.  I’ve been to a few weddings with some pretty bad DJs.  Like, really bad.  If you’re at a wedding where literally no one is dancing and the DJ is horrible (I’m thinking of Love Actually as a good example) then feel free to go request a song. But a song that is popular or fun or that you know the couple loves.  Don’t be requesting Eminem’s “Bitch I’m Gonna Kill You” and expect it to be played.  I get it – the song is the bomb.  But it is not wedding-friendly.  Also, on the do-not-request list: The Electric Slide, The Cha Cha Slide, or any other slide; YMCA, the Chicken Dance, The Macarena, or any songs on the couple’s actual do-not-play list. But if the DJ is doing a pretty great job and people are dancing, they’re good at their job.  So leave them alone and let them do it.

9.  Don’t Take Stuff.  Except for favors and things specified as up for grabs, don’t leave with stuff from the wedding.  You know that pretty centerpiece in a big mason jar on your table? Don’t take it.  You are probably safe to take the florals inside, but the containers are probably either rented or took a lot of time collecting and cost money for the couple.  Unless they say otherwise, don’t take them home.

10.  Don’t Facebook Their Wedding.  Try to respect the couple’s privacy and keep the social media to a minimum while at the wedding.  While some couples may encourage you to share photos on instagram with a hashtag or don’t mind if you facebook a few, most couples would appreciate not sharing their intimate moments before they’ve even gotten to see them themselves. Plus, if you post an unflattering picture of the bride, that’s just mean.

11.  DO NOT Disturb the Couple on their Wedding Day (or the morning after).   Do not text, do not call, do not facebook message, do not knock on their door.  DO NOT CONTACT the couple on their wedding day.  They are busy and don’t need the added stress or work.  If you have an emergency, contact a member of the wedding party or a parent of the couple.

11 things every wedding guest should know from oh lovely day

Bonus: A note on gift-giving.  In case you were wondering, it isn’t required by etiquette that you buy the couple a gift (though it is the nice thing to do and you should if you have the means) If you are spending a lot of money to travel, paying for a babysitter, etc. and you just don’t have anything left, then don’t stress.  But do at least give the couple a nice card at the time of their wedding.  And remember, you do have up to a year after the wedding to send a gift, so you can send some cash when you have the funds.  And if you have the money and were wondering, you are theoretically supposed to give a gift that is equal to the cost of your “per head” cost (for each guest in your party).  If you don’t know what that is, ($75-100 per person is usually a good guess) just give what you are comfortable with.  And cash is always a welcomed gift for the couple, but if you want to give an actual item try to stick to the registries.

So, what do you think about these guest guidelines?  Would you add any?  There are more, of course, but I thought this was these were the most important things to remember.  So pin now and hope your wedding guests see it and take a hint.

Photos by Jennifer Roper.  Jennifer Roper is a member of our Lovely Vendor guide.  If you’d like to be considered for our handpicked guide, apply here.

Leave a comment.

1. Posted Apr 2 at 7:29 am | Permalink

I love this list, but to say that 100% complain about a cash bar, because they should be illegal?
      Not everyone can afford to buy their guests alcohol. In fact, more people cannot than can. It’s not unacceptable to have a cash bar, and for you to say such a statement is pretty condescending to brides who wish they could do an open bar but cannot.

• Jessica
        Posted Apr 2 at 7:51 am | Permalink

A bride should only do what she can afford. Red and white wine only or a 100 person wedding should only cost under 300$. Invite less people if you can’t afford that. I agree with the writer, cash bars should be illegal. Your guests are coming to you, getting dressed up, buying you a gift, they should not be expected to pay for drinks. Whatsoever.

• Posted Apr 2 at 8:01 am | Permalink

Hi Shannon- I’m sorry that made you feel bad, and the “it should be illegal” was a bit of a joke (like the rest of the tone of the post) but honestly, your guests hate nothing more than paying for drinks at your wedding. I agree with Jessica – you should cut something from your budget or some guests in order to provide guests with an open bar. That doesn’t mean a fully stocked open bar. But at least beer and wine if you can. Sorry, but I feel very strongly about this one. You can also have the bar last for a certain amount of time, like cutting it off at 10 pm or something if that helps costs. My bar did not cost much – we stocked up for our 130 guests at the 5 cent wine sale at bevmo. You can get creative about it.

• Posted Apr 2 at 9:33 am | Permalink

I second the no cash bar. Really it is just tacky. I understand budget constraints but it is so easy to cut out something really small and add a couple bottles of booze if you want to add something besides beer and wine. The easiest solution to this is provide beer and wine and offer a signature cocktail. Then you are not stocking and entire bar but spending an additional $100 for the illusion you have an open bar. I was at a wedding that had an all cash bar. They even tried to charge for bottled water!!!!! Then they had three different dessert options, plated dessert, candy bar and a cake. Priorities people, I think their guests would have preferred a drink.

• Posted Apr 2 at 10:01 am | Permalink

Also, weddings don’t HAVE to have alcohol. It’s nice if it’s there, but if you really can’t fit it into your budget, then just don’t have booze. Cash bars are not okay.

• Posted Apr 3 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Well, agree to disagree.

I just think it’s an incredibly foolish decision to put oneself further into post-wedding debt just so your guests can get drunk, if you’re already going to be made pretty much poor by the wedding process.

I’ve watched my friends each rack up $100+ tabs at the bar when we go out. Not for a couple. Each. My circle of friends and family features a large number of huge drinkers. All the parents coming are leaving the kids at home. People plan on partying. I’d rather let them give the money to the bar operated by the legion (supporting a great cause) than buy the limited amount of alcohol our budget could afford to stock a bar, then run out and the guests be annoyed they couldn’t drink as much as they wanted.

We are providing champagne on the tables, so we are offering them some to drink. But I simply cannot afford an open bar in the sense of a free-for-all, which is what the words “open bar” mean to most, and our families know that.

A lot of readers are saying “oh that’s so tacky” “it’s so rude” but of course if you have the option to pay or not pay for drinks, everyone is going to favor an open bar.

How many of the people here contributing to this post have paid for a wedding already? It gets crazy. Between the thousands of dollars on the photographer, thousands for a videographer, the thousands of dollars for catering, the hundreds of dollars for flowers, the hundreds/thousands of dollars people spend on dresses and accessories, the hundreds for the DJ. Adding free booze for everyone, nope. Not doing it. I’d rather put that money toward a house.

I guess I feel strongly about it too. You can call me and other not totally rich couples tacky, if that’s what you think. We’re the ones most struggling to make our weddings the best we can.

Bottom line: the guests are going to look back on the day with happy memories, not talk ten years later about “OH MY GOD HOW DARE THEY HAVE A CASH BAR?”

• Posted Apr 3 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

We will have to agree to disagree. I think it is unfair to assume that those of us who think a cash bar shouldn’t be an option have the money to pay for it without struggle. Most of the comments show we have all planned our weddings already, but we make a hosted bar, as well as other guest comforts, a priority and budget accordingly. One commenter had a $3k wedding. She still figured out a way to provide wine and beer. I know my bar tab was less than $500 total for wine, beer, and basic liquor for 130 people and I still had booze leftover. Everyone has to plan the wedding that is right for them. If yours doesn’t include a hosted bar, that’s your choice. But I think it is clear that my saying cash bars are not thoughtful of your guests is NOT condescending. It is my opinion, and it is one that a majority of other people have. This is my blog and that is my opinion. And now I’m done addressing it.

2. Posted Apr 2 at 8:53 am | Permalink

I have one more: DON’T bring the gift to the wedding!!! Who do you think is going to haul all that stuff back to the couple? They certainly aren’t going to open gifts at the reception so that leaves the family to get it safely back home. Those people have enough other stuff to keep track of! And this goes double when it’s a destination wedding! Do the right thing and have the gift shipped or even send it after the wedding.

• rheanna
        Posted Apr 2 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

that is a great idea but I personally have never been to a wedding where I didnt see all the gifts at the reception

• Posted Apr 3 at 10:02 am | Permalink

It has always been my understanding that this was Maid of Honor’s job or the parents of the bride or groom, who usually don’t (though not always) have much to do the day of. In the case of a destination wedding though, I would agree 100% to send them somewhere.

3. Posted Apr 2 at 9:04 am | Permalink

i second the “buy things from the registry” bit. we’re one and a half months out from the big day, and people keep saying, “what do you REALLY want? we want to get you something special!” um, we are literally telling the world exactly what it is we want.

4. Posted Apr 2 at 9:09 am | Permalink

#11 one hundred times over number 11! I had too many calls in the 24 hours preceding my wedding and they all left me a wreck. I ended up having a panic attack from relatives who called literally the night before asking is we could make room accommodations for extended family (who hadn’t RSVP’d) for the wedding in the Bed and Breakfast we had the reception at. Not only did they make this insane last minute request, but they actually got offended when I responded in an incredibly overwhelmed manner that the Inn was full, but I guess we could find floor space?

I also had the out of town guests who had ignored my travel advice and booked hotels by the airport they flew into (3 hours away) and didn’t rent a car and expected to be picked up by me the night before the wedding. I eventually realized that someone needed to take away my phone, but it wasn’t before tears of frustration were shed.

I also got the same day calls of can I bring this guest tomorrow? Really? Tomorrow? And these people actually were offended when I said no, so they decided to no-show.

5. Liz
      Posted Apr 2 at 11:12 am | Permalink

I agree about that cash bar, afterall, you’re the one inviting them to YOUR party. However, if you must have a cash bar, do your guests a favor and state as such on the invitation/enclosure. If you’re like me, you “expect” an open bar (no matter how limited) and don’t always carry cash.

6. rheanna
      Posted Apr 2 at 11:57 am | Permalink

I liked everything except the no cash bar and do not bring a gift if you can not afford to. We had a cash bar only because seriously sooooo many of my husbands friends and family members are heavy drinkers and we were married young so there were a lot of early 20 somethings there who would litterally make us go bankrupt. we did however let everyone know it was a cash bar.
      I have never heard of anyone not bringing a gift or a cash gift ever…the bride and groom are spending a lot so bringing something is just respectful. you likely have many months to plan for a wedding you will be attending so should be saving each month if you know you can not afford a huge chunk out of your budget all at once.
      Every other point was so bang on especially the wearing white thing…it is actually very common :s

• rheanna
        Posted Apr 2 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

and we supplied unlimited wine per table

7. Janna
      Posted Apr 2 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

I agree with almost all of this! For #11 I think it depends on what they are contacting you about. I got tons of congratulations texts while I was getting my hair and makeup done the morning of my wedding and they just made me feel even more special and loved!

8. Desiree
      Posted Apr 2 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

I LOVE this list!!!! I think everyone that attends a wedding should read this!! Especially the RSVP and the wedding website tips. Those have been my personal biggest stress!

9. Kenzie
      Posted Apr 2 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

I too think the no cash bar should be illegal comment was a little insulting. Both my fiance and I have HUGE families which make up over 185 people on our guest list. Our families are very close and there is no way to cut someone. Adding in our close friends and others that we have to invite has pushed the list close to 250 people. Our venue has a beer and wine only option for 3 hours for 15 dollars per person, which adds up to $3750.00! We are paying for the wedding ourselves, which is pretty hard to do on a teacher and social worker salary. We are not having any “extras” that we can cut to make up that amount, and we really did not want to pay for people who do not drink. We have let everyone know what we are doing, and our families and friends have been very supportive of it. Now not letting people know of your plans in advance would be another story.

• Posted Apr 2 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Hi Kenzie- Again, did not mean to be insulting but as you see from most of the other replies, cash bars are seen as just as insulting to your wedding guests. Yours sounds like a different and highly unusual situation where your venue did not allow options that you could make work. Although one might consider a different venue to ensure guests don’t have to pay for their own drinks, if that isn’t an option and you can’t make a hosted bar work in any way, then what you did is all you can do. Warning your guests ahead of time is definitely important and I’m glad yours were supportive. My comment was geared more towards those who spend money on lots of other things and choose to force their guests to pay for their own drinks. That, in my opinion, is not ok and should be avoided at all costs. You don’t have to spend a fortune to have a nice wedding and make sure your guests are taken care of.

10. Annalisa
      Posted Apr 2 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

I always bring a gift especially if the bride is not nice – in the wrong color.

11. Posted Apr 2 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

I wanted to repost a tweet I received from a fellow blogger, Cris of Kiss My Tulle, regarding cash bars: “I’m cheap and did a wedding for 3k but I refused to do a cash bar. Offer some beer or wine and call it good.”

12. Posted Apr 2 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

I felt really bad reading about the cash bar too! We had red and white wine on all the tables plus sparkling for the toasts. Then we put, I don’t know, £1-2,000 behind the bar and once that had run out people had to pay… we just couldn’t afford anymore and people would want to carry on drinking! We had about 120 guests (we were in our late twenties and really wanted all our friends there from school, uni and work) but tried not to blow the budget in any one area. I hope people didn’t think we were really cheap 🙁

• Posted Apr 2 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

That’s not a cash bar – you hosted lots for your guests. if it had to go to a cash bar eventually, that’s a different story. What I mean by cash bar, is completely unhosted alcohol. You provided alcohol (lots, by the sound of it) and that is by no means cheap.

• Posted Apr 4 at 4:47 am | Permalink

Ah ok, thanks Chandra! It’s just I do have some friends who had completely free alcohol all day (and night!) – on arrival at the venue, on the tables, and at the bar – but I think they (or their parents) must have a bit more money than us 😉

13. Posted Apr 2 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Question to all: Would it be rude of me to put a link (or even a copy) of this article in my invitations?? I do NOT want children, and most of the other rules (like social media!!) are important to me too. Is that tacky?

• Posted Apr 2 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

As much as I would love that, yes, it would probably come off rude. Especially since I didn’t write it in the nicest tone. But you can make sure to address your invites properly (without the kids’ names on them), put it on your wedding website that your wedding is adults-only, and spread the word through your family members. As far as the social media – I’ve seen signs near the guestbook or other “entrance” area that says something to the effect of “out of repect for the couple and in keeping with the solemnity of the day, please do not share photos on Facebook or other social media.” hope that helps!

14. Posted Apr 2 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

This list is too funny! There are so many good points in this list. I love the one about kids.

15. Posted Apr 3 at 9:35 am | Permalink

What amazes me is not so much that you think it should “cash bars should be illegal” but that you also believe that “it isn’t required that you buy the couple a gift.” Seriously?? When on earth did going to weddings become this ridiculous chore that is only eased by free alcohol? When in the world did it EVER become OK to not give something of a gift? In a world where more and more weddings are being paid for by the bride & groom, my #1 rule to guests: DON”T COMPLAIN ABOUT MONEY. Yes, we get it, it’s hard to save up a couple hundred in year, but don’t forget that we need to save a couple thousand in a year.

I mean honestly, why would you think that it is ok to complain about a bride & groom not spending enough money on you when you couldn’t even afford a gift? I’m not even saying that you do absolutely need to get them a gift, but if you can’t save up and extra $50 for a gift on top of airfare & hotel, what in the world gives you the right to complain that they couldn’t save up an extra $300-$500 for alcohol on top of the $2,000 – $3,000 for food?

• Posted Apr 3 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

I didn’t say you don’t have to get a gift, but there is no rule of etiquette saying guests have to give gifts. That’s why you aren’t supposed to put your registry info directly with your wedding invitation – because it looks as though you expect a gift. Should someone buy you a gift if they come to your wedding? Of course! Are they required to? No. Do some people struggle to find a way to buy a couple a gift when they have to travel to a wedding, stay in a hotel, pay for a sitter, buy a shower gift, attend a bachelor party, etc.? Yes. All I said and meant is that you should stress about it, do what you can, you have up to a year after the wedding to send something, and to try to stick to the registry. You clearly didn’t read what I wrote.

16. lbk
      Posted Apr 3 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

i am currently planning my wedding and i always assumed a price per plate was 75-100, like you said, but i also realized most people do not plan their wedding in NYC. The price per plate average that i have found for NYC is about 200 a plate per person, before taxes, tip of servers, etc. i hope the people coming to my wedding they realize that the 75-100 price per plate probably isnt a good guess for everywhere…

• Posted Apr 3 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Yes, I agree. Mine in LA was much higher per plate too. That’s just an average. Some of your guests will know, and lots won’t. In the long run the ones who do are a bonus 🙂

17. Nancy
      Posted Apr 3 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Loved this whole post. Totally had me laughing out loud at some points. And after being on the many sides of weddings, they all rang true.

18. Kelsey
      Posted Apr 3 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

Hi, “totally not rich” former bride here. I’m sorry, but I have to 100% agree with cash bars being tacky. When I got married, we were on a very, very right budget. My husband and I were young, just out of college, and paying for our entire wedding in our own. So yes, we had to make some sacrifices to pay for alcohol for the guests. But those guests made sacrifices to pay for travel, lodging, gifts, outfits, showers, etc etc, to attend our wedding. It is my personal belief that when you invite people to a party, you pay for it. And I understand budgets being tight- if that’s the case, do what we did. We bought beer ourselves, using wine and beer calculators online to figure out how much we’d need, and got several cases of wine wholesale. All in all we spent about 400 dollars which kept 100 people happy for 8 hours and we even had a bunch of leftover Oberon to enjoy.
      As far as gifts go, I’m pretty shocked by the outrage that it was wrong of Chandra to say “gifts aren’t necessary”. News flash: proper etiquette states that wedding gifts are NOT required. Suggested? Yes. (And should you really give one? Yes.) But all Chandra was saying was that technically gifts are not in fact required.
      In conclusion, seriously- cut your flower budget. (Pick wildflowers from the garden like I did!) or maybe don’t get the insanely expensive wedding dress. Or host your reception in your backyard. But spring a few extra hundred dollars and provide your guests with some drinks. Doesn’t have to be too of the line, doesn’t have to be hard liquor, but do not make your guests pay their way at your wedding.

19. Posted Apr 4 at 11:37 am | Permalink

I am a little surprised at the turn this post has taken. If you want a cash bar then have a cash bar. If alcohol is not that important to you then don’t make it a priority. I only had wine and beer served at my wedding because I really don’t drink and alcohol wasn’t big on my to-do list. It was more important for me to have an amazing photographer and reception decor, so that is where my money went. If people didn’t like that then so what.

The points in this post are meant to be helpful and they were presented with humor. I am not sure why this subject gets people all bent out of shape. If you are having a cash bar I can almost guarantee that some people will show up and not bat an eye about paying for their alcohol and then some people will show up and think it is tacky. Of course they would never tell you that to your face because it is rude but they are thinking it.:-) People may have grumbled at our no hard liquor choice but I could have cared less!

20. D.Brown
      Posted Apr 6 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

On the cash bar, always check with your venue and the laws for that town. In some places if you have a cash bar, you need to get a one day license to serve the liquor. The paper work for this can take up to 3 or4 months.

21. Sue
      Posted Apr 8 at 8:48 am | Permalink

In regards to the cash bar, I agree that you should host your guest some how but adding to your other comment about getting creative, not all venues allow you to bring in your own alcohol for signature drinks or wine and are forced to pay their alcohol prices. I feel that every wedding is unique in this regard. Best rule of thumb, is to know your guest! If you invite a bunch of people who expect to party, then plan to serve them. But if you know your guest aren’t that big into drinking, then make up another fun non alcoholic beverage for them to have.

22. Yvette
      Posted Jun 4 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

Good post! Although supplying your own, previously purchased alcohol is not always a cheaper option. This totally depends on where you live. Many places charge a corkage of $15 and up if you provide your own wine. That adds up very quickly. So the quotes of $300-$500 are not realistic depending on your geography. The San Francisco Bay Area (where I live) is going to be dramatically different than other locations. So when you are planning your bar crunch some numbers and figure out which one fits best in your budget. For us it was cheaper to go with our venue’s wine and beer rather than purchase it from an outside source and bring it in/pay corkage. Yes, you could argue that “Two Buck Chuck” is cheaper even if you pay for the corkage, but do you really want to pay $15 to open a bottle of that?
      As far as gifts go, I never expected any. The purpose of your wedding is to make a life long vow to the one you love in front of the people in your lives that mean the most to you. All that you really need is their attendance. There should be no expectation of compensation for the money you paid to have them attend your wedding.

23. Posted Oct 1 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

It will help you have a good budget and a possible discounted beach
      wedding package if you will prefer to celebrate your wedding on a
      non-holiday season. Morgan Hamilton offers expert advice
      and great tips regarding all aspects concerning wedding.
      Here are some examples from David’s Bridal Invitations:.

24. Kim
      Posted Jun 30 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

I want to basically just put this as insert in my invitations? Too much? Probably. It’s posted to my Facebook wall though!

One Trackback

•  Seriously cannot believe I'm saying this but, YOU ARE NINE MONTHS OLD! Your first 9 months of life sure did go by faster than your 9 months in my belly, and I didn't even know you were in there for the first 9 weeks! (Yep, I was totally that pregnant lady the third time around  but that's a story for another time...) You are feeding yourself, have still never had a bottle , are pulling up to standing, sprint crawling, finally cut your first tooth and are working on your second. You have regressed in sleep and the last week have been waking up 1-2 times a night but I know it's those teeth. You are not a good teether. You're babbling like crazy, mostly in this hilarious new demon voice, you often mimic sounds, and are always saying dadadada. How about a little mama, huh? I'm the one who has barely slept for 9 months through colic and reflux and nursing and night wakings and who carries you around on my person 90% of the time. I'm not bitter though. The smiles you save for me alone more than make up for it. #quincysmonthbymonth  Countdown to Halloween is on! Reminiscing about that time Charlie was @macklemore for Halloween, 2013. Kid was two weeks shy of three and played the part to a tee. What is your favorite costume you or your kids ever did? #isthatyourgrandmascoat #poppintags #charlieasmacklemore #babymacklemore #bornentertainer #charlesdashiell
       Continuing the Halloween theme today because I'm in a Halloween mood  Last year. My favorite movie as a kid became Charlie's favorite last year and he wanted to be Jareth so bad. I wasn't sure I could pull it off, but we did. Even down to dressing Calvin as Toby because he was the perfect age. I don't think it will ever get better than this for me. #dancemagicdance #babewiththepower #labyrinth  Motherhood is a constantly evolving state of total joy, exhausted agony, superhuman strength, and very human failures. As soon as you celebrate that superhuman successful day, it is replaced with new challenges. And just when you think you can't go one more day, you get a day so magical you want to have ten more babies. I'm in the midst of one of those exhausted phases again but I keep trying to remind myself that it is this phase that makes the magical days shine brighter. In the wise words of Miley Cyrus (I'm actually serious): it's all about the climb.  We've got this mamas. (Tag a momma who needs to get cheesy and read the words to a Miley Cyrus song ) #battlefieldmotherhood _______________________________________________ I can almost see it. That dream I'm dreaming, But there's a voice inside my head saying, "You'll never reach it." Every step I'm takin' Every move I make feels lost with no direction, My faith is shakin' But I, I gotta keep tryin' Gotta keep my head held high There's always gonna be another mountain I'm always gonna wanna make it move Always gonna be an uphill battle Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose Ain't about how fast I get there Ain't about what's waitin' on the other side It's the climb The struggles I'm facing The chances I'm taking Sometimes might knock me down, But no, I'm not breaking I may not know it, But these are the moments That I'm gonna remember most  Just gotta keep goin', And I, I gotta be strong Just keep pushing on, 'Cause... There's always gonna be another mountain I'm always gonna wanna make it move Always gonna be an uphill battle Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose Ain't about how fast I get there Ain't about what's waitin' on the other side It's the climb.