• {Styling Tips} What to Wear For Your Engagement Photos: Some DOs & DON’Ts

what to wear for engagement photos

I remember planning my wardrobe choices for my own engagement photos.  We took them in February and I remember having a hard time finding what I wanted in stores.  In the end I went with two wardrobe choices: a cute dress for some more formal photos, and a super casual jeans & tee for some fun and playful ones on the beach.  I’ve learned a lot since then about what makes a good engagement photo outfit, and wanted to share with you today.  Here are some DOs & DON’Ts:

{DO wear a pop of color}

engagement photo in paris with a pop of colorNothing looks better in a photo than a pop of color.  Whether it is in your wardrobe, props, or location, color will add a bit of life and fun.  I love the idea of throwing on a colorful scarf that you can take on and off.

{DON’T wear anything TOO trendy}

what to wear for engagement photos

While you want to wear something cute and fun and current, you DON’T want to look dated when you look back on your photos. You want your photos to be timeless. You want to enjoy looking at them for years to come rather than looking back in five years and saying, “what was I thinking with all of that neon!?” Find a balance between wearing something you love that is current and timeless as well, like the choices above.

{DO wear something that is flattering}

what to wear for engagement photos

If you buy something new, make sure it fits well and flatters you from all angles.  You’ll be moving around and getting photographed from all angles.  Keep in mind that flowy tops often billow out with movement and wind and may not look flattering in photographs (take a clip or hair claw to pinch back excess fabric for more formal photos just in case!)

{DON’T wear anything too revealing}

what to wear for engagement photosThis is probably pretty obvious, but keep it classy.  You can be sexy without being too revealing. Remember, your family members will see these photos. Your KIDS will someday see these photos.  No side boob, no super mini skirts, no extremely low cut tops. And remember to make sure your outfit isn’t too revealing when you’re standing, sitting, jumping around, or whatever you want to do in your photos.  Which brings me to…

{DO wear something you can play in}

what to wear for engagement photosYou want to have some playful photos that show your fun side. Choose one outfit that you can play in and one outfit that is a little dressier for formal portraits.

{DON’T wear anything that isn’t YOU}

what to wear for engagement photosYou want your engagement photos to represent who you are, so wear what you usually wear.  If you’ve never worn a hat in your life, don’t wear a hat in your photos.  If your fiancé has never worn a suit, don’t make him wear one for your photos.  Surround yourself in both the photo setting and your wardrobe in things that represent your life and who you are.

{DO remember the little things}

what to wear for engagement photosDon’t forget to pay attention to your shoes, jewelry, hands & feet, and of course, your engagement ring.  That means wear cute and clean shoes, add a statement necklace or cute accessory, get a manicure & pedicure, clean your ring so it really sparkles, and don’t forget to wear it – you’ll want it featured in some photos!

In the coming weeks I’ll have a post for you about how to achieve great engagement photos (for me, that includes a cocktail!).  But wardrobe styling is a very important step in that process, so start here and choose your outfits (I would pick two!) and then come back soon for more tips.

Do you have any addtional DO’s and DON’Ts for engagement styling to share?  For more ideas of what to wear, check out our engagement pinterest board (and FYI, if you click through on any photos and get a “suspicious link” warning, it is just because our new url redirects to the unhyphenated ohlovelyday.com, which Pinterest flags as suspicious.  But any Oh Lovely Day links on Pinterest are totally safe!)

{photo credits} matt clayton via inspired by this | Grace & Kenneth | Colleen & Kris | Brittany & Rob | Lindsay & Andrew | Chandra & JonathanElizabeth & Michael | Olivia & Brennan

Leave a comment.

1. Posted Mar 5 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Great advice! It can really mess with an engagement session if the couple wears something that is a bit odd, unsuitable, or just throws the photos off. We have turned down more than one feature because one of the couple is wearing something strange!

2. Posted Mar 5 at 11:41 am | Permalink

be your self always

3. Posted Jul 21 at 12:41 am | Permalink

Great wardrobe tips. It sometimes amazes me that a lot of people have no clue how to dress themselves to their best advantage in order to look fabulous for any sort of portrait session. Great examples too.

4. Posted Mar 7 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Do you use the meta keywords on your website then?
      I heard told me to not bother with them a while a go as they help competitors
      Added this to my Twitter, very good!

5. Posted Apr 6 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Thank you for any other excellent post. The place else may anyone
      get that kind of info in such an ideal manner of writing?
      I’ve a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such information.

6. Posted Oct 30 at 6:22 am | Permalink

Great article makes such a difference in what they wear, will definitely be showing this to my couples.

4 Trackbacks

•  Three things: 1. You've got one day left to enter my @mywildbird sling giveaway, so head over to my blog (link in profile) and tag your friends. 2. I was featured on @loyal_hana blog as part of their motherhood series, so if you want to give it a read and hear about my typical (hot mess) day or how I (don't) balance work and mothering head to their profile to find the link to their site. I pretty much live in their nursing-friendly clothes and was honored to be featured. 3. Charlie took this picture (and basically directed me for the shot) and it makes me really really happy   Putting the finishing touches on the boys' bedroom and had to stop to admire the magic that the morning light and their @babyjives mobile was making. ✨☁️⭐️❤️✨#charlieandcalsroomredo
       Can a person be your happy place? Because I'm pretty certain that Quincy is mine ☺️✨ #quincyrhys #thatdimpletho  This week was a rough one. I feel like I say that every week but this one really was. Today alone had me at my breaking point. All three of my kids seemed hell bent on driving me crazy. Quincy literally wouldn't let me put him down or leave the room without a major scream-cry fest. He rode around on the fuss bus allllll day. Tropical storm Calvin left destruction in his wake everywhere he went (if you follow me on snap/stories you got a little sampling but that was nowhere near the extent of it). At one point I went into a room away from my kids and sat in a chair and cried. Within three minutes one of them found me (of course) gave me a hug, and we were all better (except Calvin -- I think this is his permanent state ). This photo is my version of thinking happy thoughts. Bougainvillea vibes ✌️️✨